Manager and head trainer Ricky Márquez has answered the lawsuit that was brought against him by Puerto Rican lightweight Félix “El Diamante” Verdejo.
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Verdejo filed a lawsuit against Marquez with the Department of Recreation and Sports (DRD) in Puerto Rico.
Verdejo is attempting to break away from Marquez, because he claims the manager's contract violates laws and regulations in the country.
The legal documents were submitted to a court in Carolina by Mr. Rafael Silva Almeyda, the lawyer of Márquez.
According to Silva Almeyda, the contract between his client and Verdejo is valid because it was signed under the parameters required by law. He also said that the extension clauses contained therein are routine in the sports industry.
“We understand that there is a contract between adults with capacity. The boxer originally signed when he was a minor, with his two parents being present. Subsequently, when he was of age, the boxer re-signed the contract and that contract is valid. It is custom in the industry, that they have extension clauses tied to the performance of the boxer,” explained the lawyer to El Nuevo Dia.
Referring to the claim that Marquez's contract violates law because it extends beyond the period of four years - the lawyer said:
“This violates the right of individuals with freedom of contract. We are challenging that regulation because there is no legitimate interest to protect a boxer from a contract for more than four years, ”said the lawyer.
As can be seen from the lawsuit documents, the provision that Márquez intends to challenge is that which is contained in article XXIV section A subsection 4 of the CBPPR regulation. This provides the following: “A contract between the boxer and the handler that is for a term greater than four (4) years and that the participation of the boxer is less than sixty shall not be recognized for all legal purposes.”
Verdejo sued his coach and manager, because he believes the terms of the contract they signed "are abusive and contrary to law."
The legal document, submitted on August 13 in the Carolina court by Mr. Felix A. Colón-Serrano, wants the agreement be declared void for violating the law and because it was allegedly signed by the boxer under deception, where the deal extends over and over, without allegedly being allowed to consult with a lawyer.
The lawsuit maintains that "the term of the management contract and the extensions contained therein are abusive and contrary to law" and adds that "they exceed any degree of reasonableness and the maximum term allowed under the Regulations of the Professional Boxing Commission."