According to eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao, he's going to return on a date in January - and his next opponent will be four division world champion Adrien Broner.
The 39-year-old Filipino boxing icon said the fight with Broner could be held either on Jan. 12 or 19, likely in Las Vegas.
According to Spin.ph, Pacquiao made the announcement on Wednesday night when he was introduced as the latest ambassador of International Sports Promotion Society at Makati Shangrila Hotel.
"Broner, Adrien Broner," said Pacquiao when asked by Spin on who he's going to fight next. "I think either January 12 or 19."
As BoxingScene.com first reported a few days ago, Pacquiao signed on with powerful adviser Al Haymon - with the idea of eventually staging a rematch with Floyd Mayweather in 2019. Haymon works with Mayweather, Broner and most of the top welterweights in the sport - including world champions Errol Spence, Keith Thurman and Shawn Porter.
There has been heavy speculation overseas that Pacquiao would first face Broner and then move on to a second fight Mayweather, who decisioned the Filipino star in their first meeting in May of 2015 - in a fight that broke all financial records and generated well over half a billion dollars in revenue.
Pacquiao was in action back in July, in Malaysia, when he beat down and knocked out Lucas Matthysse to capture the WBA "regular" welterweight title. It was Pacquiao's first stoppage win since November of 2009, when he put away Miguel Cotto inside the distance.
Broner was in action earlier this year, when he fought to a close twelve round draw with former champion Jessie Vargas. Pacquiao dominated Vargas for the WBO world title back in the fall of 2016. He then lost that title to Jeff Horn in a controversial upset in July of 2017.