By Steve Kim
So what's next on the docket for Vasyl Lomachenko, who successfully defended his WBO super featherweight title on Saturday night by making the previously undefeated Nicholas Walters (26-1-1, 21KOs) quit on his stool after seven one-sided rounds?
2016 has been a productive one for 'Hi-Tech' who impressively halted Rocky Martinez back in June in New York City and then dismantled the 'Axe-Man' this past weekend at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.
But the fact is that he only fought twice this year, while in his physical prime at age 28.
When asked about the upcoming year, Egis Klimas who manages Lomachenko told BoxingScene.com:
"Bob (Arum) told us yesterday, next year he wants to put Vasyl in the ring a minimum three times, maybe even four. But we're probably going to be looking to bring him back - and it depends on whom we're going to fight and who's going to be the opponent - we're looking to be back in the ring late March or April."
Lomachenko, who turned pro in late 2012 after a legendary amateur career (that saw him capture two Olympic gold medals for Ukraine), has been able to win two major world titles in just eight professional fights.
His current record stands at 7-1 (4 KO's) and his lone loss was a controversial and tainted affair against former world champion Orlando Salido in his second pro bout.
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.