Undefeated junior welterweight contender George Kambosos is a happy man, after the purse bid that shocked the sport.
On Thursday, at the IBF's purse bid, streaming service Triller blew away the competition to secure the promotional rights to Kambosos' mandatory fight with IBF, WBC Franchise, WBA, WBO world champion Teofimo Lopez.
Kambosos secured the world title opportunity in 2020 when he outboxed former beltholder Lee Selby in a final eliminator.
Triller threw down over $6 million - which more than doubled the bid from Top Rank, who promote Lopez.
Lopez will be appearing for the first time since last year's stunning unanimous decision win over Vasiliy Lomachenko.
Kambosos is embracing the underdog role - acknowledging that very few observers are giving him a shot to beat the dangerous Lopez.
“It’s a huge fight, probably the biggest fight ever for an Australian fighter. But I’m just so focused, I’m just having tunnel vision,” Kambosos said to WA Today.
“I always knew this fight was coming. I met Lopez in 2019 and we took a photo together. I always had the vibe, even before he was a world champion, that we were going to meet in the ring one day. I truly believe this is destiny for me. Many people I’m the underdog but in my head, I’m winning this fight. People doubt me but that just comes with the game. I’m fighting for all the people that support me, all of Australia, all of Greece.
“I’ve had messages from Anthony Mundine, Danny Green, Billy Dib, Sakio Bika… they’ve all reached out and said it’s my time, I’m the face of Australian boxing. They said I’ve done it the hard way and I deserve this shot. These guys are champions who have paved the way for where I am today.”
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (14)