The 'Son of a Legend' - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-3-1, 32 KOs) - is back on the comeback trail.
The 32-year-old fighter from Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico has been out of the ring since losing a twelve round unanimous decision loss to middleweight champion Saul “Canelo’’ Alvarez on May 6, 2017. The contest took place at a catch-weight of 164.5-pounds at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Chavez now returns to the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds.
Chavez is scheduled to fight again on December 1, at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
His return fight is part of the non-pay-per-view portion of the undercard to the heavyweight clash between WBC world champion Deontay Wilder and challenger Tyson Fury.
The opponent for Chavez will be the 36-year-old veteran Alfredo Angulo (24-7, 20 KOs), who reside in California and was born in Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico,.
Angulo was in action back in April, when he lost a split decision to former world champion Sergio Mora.
Chavez Jr. believes he was severely weight-drained for the contest with Canelo. He expects to be very dominant at the full division limit of 168, and he doesn't see anyone who can beat him there.
“I am excited to be back on December 1 to perform for the great Mexican fans in Los Angeles,” said Chavez Jr.
“At my weight I know I can beat anyone. I am focused and feel strong. Angulo will be first, but then I will pursue a belt at 168. I’m putting the division on notice. Chavez is back.”
The fight with Angulo has been rumored since last year. While his career is closer to the end than the beginning, he predicts a stunning upset.
“I have been training very hard in anticipation of this fight and this is the best I have felt in a long time,” said Angulo.
“I am looking forward to defeating Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and getting a title opportunity in the near future. I’m thankful for everyone who has supported me and I promise to surprise a lot of people on December 1.”