Advertisement: IBO Boxing
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com
Advertisement

Joshua-Pulev Penciled in For December 12 at O2 in London

The fight between unified heavyweight world titlist Anthony Joshua and mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev is being penciled in to take place on Dec. 12 at the O2 Arena in London, both sides told BoxingScene on Monday.

The fight for Joshua’s three major belts was originally scheduled to take place on June 20 at the 70,000-seat Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London but it had to be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“Yes, Dec. 12 at the O2 is the plan for AJ,” Hearn said, adding that he is hopeful that some fans will be permitted to attend the bout after months of events at which fans were not allowed because of the ongoing pandemic.

Hearn said British authorities are aiming to allow at least 25 percent capacities at venues beginning in October.

“We are happy that the fight appears to be back on track and that we have a new date and site,” said promoter John Wirt of Epic Sports, which co-promotes Pulev with Top Rank. “There is still some tweaking to do on the contract but we are optimistic it should be concluded this week.”

joshua-pulev-MR

While both camps like the date and site they still need to finalize the financial terms, which may change from the agreement they previously signed because of what would likely be a significant reduction in gate revenue when moving the fight from a likely full stadium in June to a much smaller venue with a partial crowd in December.

“All being discussed,” Hearn said.

If the sides wind up being unable to iron out the money the fight could to an IBF purse bid, which would entitle Joshua to 65 percent and Pulev to 35 percent of the winning bid. The Pulev team has long held that it could take the fight to Pulev’s hometown of Sofia, Bulgaria, where is a superstar, and have strong financial backing there.

Pulev (28-1, 14 KOs), 39, stands in the way of Joshua (23-1, 21 KOs), 30, perhaps facing British countryman Tyson Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) for the undisputed world title next year.

Joshua would have to beat Pulev, who has won eight fights in a row since his lone loss by fifth-round knockout challenging then-unified world champion Wladimir Klitschko in November 2014, and Fury would to retain his title in a planned third bout with former titlist Deontay Wilder (42-1-1, 41 KOs) that is penciled in for December but could move to early 2021. The Joshua and Fury camps claim they have already agreed to a financial outline of a deal to meet next year in what would be the one of the biggest fights in boxing.

Pulev has been idle since a lopsided 10-round decision victory over Rydell Brooker on Nov. 9 in Fresno, California.

Joshua has been out of the ring since rolling to a one-sided unanimous decision in a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr. on Dec. 7 in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia, where he regained the belts he lost to Ruiz by seventh-round knockout in a monumental upset in June 2019 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Dan Rafael was ESPN.com's senior boxing writer for fifteen years, and covered the sport for five years at USA Today. He was the 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism.

User Comments and Feedback
Comment by Jkp on 09-03-2020

[QUOTE=Jax teller;20741582]Wilder turned down double his career high payday for supposed EZ werk, Wilder - "quack quack".[/QUOTE] Lol... no. Has boogie man Whyte regained consciousness yet, after being destroyed by the short 40 year old?

Comment by Jax teller on 09-03-2020

[QUOTE=Jkp;20740606]No one has ever avoided Whyte. Not even 40 year old bouncer Lucas browne or plumber Dave Allen, or 100 year old dinosaur wach. He's not good enough to be avoided. He's a proven uk hype job.[/QUOTE] Wilder turned down…

Comment by KillaCamNZ on 09-03-2020

It's sad just how glacial the boxing world moves. While the current climate across the world is difficult, you can definitely believe that fighters - especially the big names - have another half dozen excuses lined up to push fights…

Comment by Jkp on 09-02-2020

[QUOTE=Jax teller;20739928]Why avoid him then?[/QUOTE] No one has ever avoided Whyte. Not even 40 year old bouncer Lucas browne or plumber Dave Allen, or 100 year old dinosaur wach. He's not good enough to be avoided. He's a proven uk…

Comment by TMLT87 on 09-02-2020

The pressure will be on AJ to entertain and stop Pulev, which at least adds a bit of an intrigue to an otherwise very middle of the road fight. Please lord lets get AJ/Fury done after that though. No more…

ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (51)
Advertisement
Top Headlines
Teofimo Lopez: Just Being In Top 10 P4P Fine With Me; Still Got A Lot More To Do Chocolatito Powers Past Israel Gonzalez, Eyes Estrada Next Julio Cesar Martinez Demolishes Calleros in Two Rounds Ryan Garcia: I'll Put The Final Nail in The Coffin of Campbell's Career! Lee Selby: Teofimo Lopez Shot is Within Touching Distance Canelo Lawsuit: Contracts And Statement Of Arbitration Ordered By Court Lomachenko: Lopez's Size, Reach Made It Difficult To Get To Him - Wants Rematch Belmar Preciado Folds Rodolfo Hernandez In 19 Seconds Estrada Gets Off The Floor, Drops Cuadras Twice and Stops Him in Eleventh Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Carlos Cuadras - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Chocolatito Decisions a Game Israel Gonzalez To Retain WBA Title Roman Gonzalez vs. Israel Gonzalez - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Julio Cesar Martinez Destroys Moises Calleros in Two Diego Pacheco Drops Juan Antonio Mendez, Stops Him In 2nd Round Austin Williams Batters Esau Herrera, Stops Him In Fifth Round Otha Jones III Tested, Settles For Six-Round Draw With Kevin Montiel Mendoza Julio Cesar Martinez Eyes Mthalane, Dalakian - Then Moving Up Chocolatito Not Overlooking The Task Ahead With Gonzalez Reis vs. Wyatt Headlines Impact Network Card on November 7 Mario Barrios: I'm Ready To Drop Bombs, I Won't Be Denied Gonzalez Studied Yafai Fight, Confident of Shocking Chocolatito Chisora Warns: Seek and Destroy - No Mercy For Usyk Estrada: Fully Focused on Cuadras, 90% Chance Chocolatito is Next Martinez vs. Marrero, Hawkins vs. Matias - Weights Sergey Lipinets, Custio Clayton - Ready For IBF Showdown Terry O'Connor Cleared By British Board in Phonegate Scandal Sergey Lipinets-Custio Clayton Weigh-In Results From Mohegan Sun Roman Gonzalez: In A Way, Pandemic Overshadowed What I Was Able To Accomplish Miguel Vazquez Inks Agreement With MTK Global Estrada: I Was Inexperienced In First Fight; I Can Beat Chocolatito Easily In Rematch Billy Joe Saunders vs. Martin Murray Set, December 4 In London Santa Cruz: I've Been Sparring With Bigger Guys; Hopefully I Could Take Tank's Punches Bob Arum: I Knew Teofimo Lopez Was Good, But I Didn't Realize How Good Stevenson Warns Loma To Stay at 135, Could See Lopez Bout in Future Roman Gonzalez: Yafai Win Was One Of The Biggest Of My Career Diego Pacheco Ready To Face Bigger, Better Challenges Buster Douglas Shocked Over Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones, Has Doubts Teofimo Lopez on Loma Rematch: F--k Him!, I'm The King Now! News: Andreas Katzourakis, Thomas Hart, Stephen Adentan Juan Francisco Estrada-Carlos Cuadras II: Stats & Stakes
Advertisement
Advertisement
Latest Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement