Cyrus Pattinson has had his share of disappointments in the past year with late opponent pull-outs, and perhaps France’s Dimitri Trenel was wishing he hadn’t turned up either as he was battered to defeat inside three rounds.

Trenel was unbeaten in eight, but in reality was levels below Pattison, who boxed around the world on the GB amateur squad. Pattinson took the first round to get his distance and then pounded the resistance out of Trenel, mixing shots well to head and body and constantly going forward.

The end came at 2:21 of the third as Trenel was about to get his second count, the Frenchman’s corner throwing in the towel to help prompt referee Mark Bates’s decision.

Cheavon Clarke, who was GB’s heavyweight at the Tokyo Olympics, dropped Pawel Martyniuk, of Poland, twice in the third round to move to 2-0 as a pro, but had to overcome some tricky moments in the first round as he was staggered in an early exchange.

Clarke used a steady body attack to wear down Martyniuk and he looked all in when referee Lee Every waved it off as the Pole rose from the second knockdown at 1:10 of the round

Iliyan Markov showed bravery well beyond the call of duty to go the full six rounds with Shiloh Defreitas in the super-lightweight show-opener.

Markov suffered serious damage to his mouth – and possibly his jaw - from a right in the second round, as he lost a couple of teeth and had blood pouring from his mouth thereafter.

There was no quit in the Bulgarian, though, just as there was no let-up from Defreitas, who caught him repeatedly, especially with the uppercut before dropping him 25 seconds from the final bell with a right to the body.

Referee Mark Bates let it go to the end and scored it 60-54. Defreitas, 23, is now 4-0.

Tall light-heavyweight prospect John Hedges moved to 6-0 as he produced a stunning left cross to stop Portugal’s Robert Baltaru in the third round.

Hedges was on top throughout, but the southpaw stepped up the pace in the third round, backing Baltaru into a corner and dropping him with a left. He was up quickly, but staggered backwards, leading referee Lee Every to stop it at 2:24.

Ron Lewis is a senior writer for BoxingScene. He was Boxing Correspondent for The Times, where he worked from 2001-2019 - covering four Olympic Games and numerous world title fights across the globe. He has written about boxing for a wide variety of publications worldwide since the 1980s.