Olympic silver medal winner Joe Joyce would consider the possibility of a warm-up bout before fighting fellow undefeated heavyweight contender Daniel Dubois.
Joyce and Dubois were initially scheduled to collide in a highly anticipated clash in April, but it was pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The fight was rescheduled to July 11. That date is now also unlikely due to the proposed rules set out by the British Boxing Board of Control.
Joyce has been out of the ring since July of last year, when he won a tough decision over veteran contender Bryant Jennings.
The biggest issue with staging the fight in July, is the British Board's requirement that no fans could be in attendance.
Frank Warren, promoter for both boxers, has made it clear that he won't consider a closed doors setting for Dubois-Joyce.
Joyce's manager wants his boxer to stay busy, and earn some money as well, so an interim-fight is certainly a real consideration.
"We have a date of July 11 but I'm not confident that is going to happen," Joyce's manager Sam Jones told Mirror Fighting .
"It comes to a point where Joe will have been out of the ring for over a year so he needs to have a fight; he needs to have a run-out, whoever it is against.
"He needs to earn some money but at the same time he needs to dust the cobwebs off and get match fit. It's the same for Dubois but he fought at Christmas and so he's had a couple of fights since Joe last fought.
"[Joyce] needs some rounds in the bank, and if he doesn't fight Dubois next he needs to fight someone who won't just fall over in a round. We are open to fighting Dubois behind closed doors but [promoter] Frank Warren has said he won't do it and that's his decision to make."