By Ryan Burton
On Saturday night in Chicago, former two-division champion Jessie Vargas (28-1-2) and Thomas Dulorme (24-3-1) battled to a majority draw in an exciting fight that was was streamed on DAZN. The final tallies were 115-111 for Vargas and 113-113 twice.
Vargas was up on all three scorecards heading into the 12th round but was knocked down with just seconds left in the fight which secured the draw result for Dulorme. That knockdown canceled out the one that Vargas scored during the 10th round.
As for what he thought of the fight, Vargas said, "First of all I pride myself on being a fan friendly fighter. No matter who I fight you will see an entertaining fight when you go to a Jessie Vargas fight. In this situation we had the Mexico versus Puerto Rico rivalry and it showed.
"Whenever you have two Puerto Rican and Mexican fighters you see the pride they fight with. We expected a victory and that is what we prepared for and what we desired. Unfortunately we got a draw but but we put on an entertaining show for the fans. I am not here to argue with the judges if that is what they saw in our fight then I have to respect it."
The 29-year-old Las Vegas native revealed that the fight, which was for the WBC silver welterweight title, had open scoring. He said that they were given the scores two times throughout the fight and that he was very confident that even with the knockdown at the end that he had won the fight.
"One thing about Chicago is that they gave us the scorecards in the corners in the 4th and 8th rounds. I was up and I knew how the fight was going. In the last round though - as you know me - I always fight till the end and in the 12th round I knew that I had the fight in the bag. I knew that because of the scorecards they showed me but I didn't want to cruise. I wanted to finish with a bang," Vargas told BoxingScene.com.
"I also knew that Thomas was hurt. He had been staggered and I went on the attack and immediately when I saw the punch coming I slipped and got hit with the punch. I just got up immediately and smiled. I knew that I was winning but that slip knockdown happened and I can't argue with it. All I could do is wait for the scores."
As for what is next, Vargas said that he will leave that up to his promoter Eddie Hearn.
"I have a great promoter and a great team and we are going to come back in a bigger and better fight. I definitely will never underestimate any of my opponents again. I am definitely not happy with my performance and I am going to improve on my style and technique and you will see a better Jessie Vargas in the future," said Vargas.
Send questions or comments to [email protected] You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter