Jermall Charlo didn’t waste time naming names.
The WBC middleweight champion from Houston, Texas, has been M.I.A. from the boxing ring for nearly two years, due to a combination of issues in his personal life and an injury.
But in a public appearance on Friday in Las Vegas, during the weigh-in for the intriguing super middleweight bout between David Benavidez and Caleb Plant, Charlo made it clear he has not lost his ambition.
The 32-year-old said he was in town to specifically scout both Benavidez and Plant, saying he would be more than willing to move up to the super middleweight division to take on the winner. All three fighters are backed by Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions.
Showtime Sports head Stephen Espinoza has previously said that he expects Charlo to return to the ring later this year.
“I’m not out here for no reason,” Charlo told Showtime in a televised interview. “I’m out here scoping. I’m looking. I'm about to see exactly what they do tomorrow. So, everybody wanna know. Would Jermall Charlo come up to 168 pounds and be a super middleweight? Yeah, I would. Let’s see what they do.
“I always had the opportunity to fight either one of those guys, but [those fights] never happened.”
Charlo, who is the twin brother of undisputed 154-pound champion Jermell, also indicated his desire to take on the likes of Canelo Alvarez, the undisputed 168-pound champion; Gennadiy Golovkin, the former longtime middleweight champion; and Demetrius Andrade, the two-division titlist who has had his fair share of verbal tiffs with Charlo over the years.
“At this point, where Jermall Charlo gonna go? Of course I want Canelo," Charlo said. "Of course I want Golovkin. Even if Golovkin still wanna fight, I’d still fight Golovkin, anybody. You know, Demetrius Andrade, he needs to fight now. No promoter, and all that. Look, let’s make it work. We can make millions here. Let’s do it.”
ADD COMMENT VIEW COMMENTS (32)