When former junior middleweight world titlist Jaime Munguia returns to the ring in October, he will face battle-tested contender Tureano Johnson, Golden Boy Promotions spokesman Stefan Friedman told BoxingScene.com on Thursday.
The fight is due to headline a card on DAZN on either Oct. 17 or Oct. 30. The site has not yet been determined but it is likely to take place at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, which is essentially Golden Boy’s home base. Golden Boy puts on shows there regularly and it hosted Golden Boy’s first show since the coronavirus pandemic began without fans on July 24.
The Munguia-Johnson card is one of at least two cards Golden Boy will have on DAZN before the end of the year. The other one is due to take place in late November or early December and slated to be headlined by the vacant interim lightweight title bout between rising star Ryan Garcia (20-0, 17 KOs), 22, of Victorville, California, and two-time world title challenger Luke Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs), 32, of England.
Golden Boy typically has monthly cards on DAZN as well as twice-monthly Thursday cards for its up-and-comers, but they have been at odds over an opponent and license fee for a Canelo Alvarez fight, and the streaming service has only committed to two shows so far for the rest of the year. Alvarez, hoping to get a fight finalized for this year, sued Golden Boy, company chairman Oscar De La Hoya and DAZN on Tuesday over the situation, claiming breach of contract, among other allegations.
According to Friedman, Golden Boy is hoping to work things out with DAZN so it can get its stable of some 80 fighters back in the ring.
Golden Boy is hoping to reschedule the light heavyweight fight between former world titlist Sergey Kovalev and longtime contender Sullivan Barrera, which was scheduled to headline a DAZN show on April 25 but postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, as well as put on secondary junior lightweight titlist Rene Alvarado’s mandatory defense, a title defense for junior lightweight world titlist Joseph Diaz Jr. and fight for rising welterweight star Vergil Ortiz Jr., to name a few.
“Golden Boy has a roster chock full of world champions, contenders, and rising prospects,” Friedman said. “In addition to Ryan Garcia and Jaime Munguia having confirmed fights against rock-solid competition, we fully expect many of our most exciting fighters to be in action during the fall and winter. Fight fans are hungry to see the full scope of Golden Boy’s talented roster, and we are confident that DAZN will honor its commitment to showcase these hard-working fighters.”
After making five defenses of his 154-pound world title, Munguia (35-0, 28 KOs), 23, of Mexico, moved up to middleweight on Jan. 11 and easily knocked out Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan in the eleventh round of a DAZN card at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
Johnson (21-2-1, 15 KOs), 36, who was a 2008 Olympian for his home country of the Bahamas, is much bigger step up for Munguia than O’Sullivan. Johnson is coming off arguably his best victory, a ninth-round knockout of then-unbeaten up-and-comer Jason Quigley 14 months ago at Fantasy Springs.
In 2015, Johnson earned a mandatory middleweight world title shot against Gennadiy Golovkin after scoring two knockdowns and outpointing Eamonn O’Kane in a title eliminator, but he never got the title bout because Johnson suffered a right rotator cuff injury in the bout and was sidelined for 17 months.
Johnson had a chance to earn another title shot when he was matched with Sergiy Derevyanchenko in a title eliminator in August 2017 but he was stopped in the 12th round of a rousing, action-packed bout.
Dan Rafael was ESPN.com's senior boxing writer for fifteen years, and covered the sport for five years at USA Today. He was the 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism.