By Miguel Rivera
There appears to be some confusion with respect to the WBO super middleweight title.
Earlier this week, it was announced by the World Boxing Organization that Billy Joe Saunders and Shefat Isufi were ordered to collide for the vacant title at 168-pounds. Both camps were issued a letter to collide for the vacant belt, and their contest takes place on April 13 in London.
Gilberto Ramirez, who made five defenses of the WBO crown at 168 pounds, has denied that he ever walked away from the belt.
According to Ramirez, he communicated with the president of the WBO, Francisco Valcárcel, and received the green light to fight at 175 while continuing to maintain his WBO title - as long as he complied with a mandatory order to fight Jesse Hart in a rematch - which Ramirez won in December.
While Ramirez is focused on invading the light heavyweight division, he admits that a unification with someone like Callum Smith would delay his rise to 175.
"I have not vacated the title, I will fight at 175 pounds to see how I feel, I spoke to Paquito (Valcárcel), I told him I have an optional fight and he gave me his support," Ramirez told ESTO.
"We still do not have a confirmed date for this preparation fight at 175 pounds, but it could take place in April. If a unification with Smith or another champion comes up we will take it and then we would settle in half-full, I would move up after unifying my title, I hope it can happen in the coming months."
For now, he is training in Los Angeles with Joel Flores, who supports him in the gym; He added that next week he will meet his new team after thanking the Zápari family, Jesús and Héctor - who Ramirez parted ways with a few weeks ago.
"I still have not finalized who my head coach will be, I'm looking at the possible options, I want to make the best decision without rushing," Ramirez concluded.