Frazer Clarke has ruled himself out of his next rumored fight date.
The Olympic bronze medallist was back in action last weekend when he secured yet another stoppage victory.
Clarke (6-0, 5 KOs) took out Bogdan Dinu in double-quick time at the AO Arena in Manchester on February 25, exclusively live on Sky Sports, as part of the supporting cast to Lawrence Okolie’s WBO cruiserweight title defence against New Zealand’s David Light.
The 31-year-old needed only two rounds to dispose of late stand-in Dinu, who has previously shared the ring with Daniel Dubois.
Dinu, who is now 20-5 with 16 KOs, retired due to an injury to his ribs, having initially replaced Rydell Booker.
But when America’s Booker suffered what was described as a serious medical condition, he was unable to travel.
Clarke had been hoping to box on Boxxer’s May 6 show in Birmingham, which is headlined by his former amateur team-mate Joshua Buatsi, but he suffered a deep cut on his forehead after an early clash of heads against Dinu.
“We’ll see what happens [about boxing on May 6],” Clarke said initially, “[because] I’d love to get on with Buatsi and all my other mates.”
Buatsi will face Poland’s unbeaten light-heavyweight Pawel Stepien (18-1, 12 KOs) on the card at the Resorts World Arena in the country’s second city, with Lauren Price, the Olympic gold medallist, and Ben Whittaker returning.
But Clarke has now stated that he will not box on that card and will instead allow the injury to heal, despite promoter Ben Shalom’s optimistic idea that ‘Big Fraze’ would grace the bill with his presence.
“As a promoter, he’s very optimistic,” Clarke told the BBC 5 Live Boxing podcast with Steve Bunce, “but I’m the captain of this ship and my priority is to have a healthy head.
“I don’t want to get any more cuts and we’re looking to the future and to longevity. If it’s right, I’ll box, but if it’s not –– and it’s probably not going to be –– it’s a no-go.”