was joe frazier left handed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was joe frazier left handed?

just wondering

noboy knows this one? well me neither really but here's a couple speculative guesses. I heard he was not left handed but had injured either his sholder or elbow on the left side as a youngster n when it healed, it healed in a way that made hooking more of a natural movement. but I would have thought that he mighta hurt his right side because even when he threw the right earlier in his career, he still threw way more left hooks. then there's the question of his bad eye, i'm not sure which one was bad but if it was his right eye, then it makes sense that he'dtend to throw more left hooks to stay facing his opponent with his better field of vision on the opponent. u know?
    well he did have surgery on the eye in the 90's and said that his vision was dramatically improved so there may be some truth to his own admission that he had one bad eye thru the run of his career. so I don't think he was left handed but surely one of u boxing fanatics know the square biz for rightside question

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      just wondering

From everything I've ever heard or read he was a converted southpaw in the same way as Miguel Cotto and Oscar Delahoya. But I'm not 100 percent sure of it.

Comment

I've read his boxing instruction book. He mentioned nothing about himself being left handed.

What he did say was he likes to turn the left handed kids he worked with into orthies

Comment

After doing a little research, it appears he was right handed.

Joe Frazier: What I've Learned - Esquire

When I was born, people came to the house and gathered round to see if I was missin' an arm. See, my dad was missin' his left hand and part of his left forearm. And those people didn't realize that my dad's missin' arm didn't have nothing to do with genes. I never asked him what happened. Don't know what exactly. But the story I heard was that another man tried to kill him in an argument over a woman.

You could say that was the root of my left hook. When I was a boy, I used to pull a big cross saw with my dad. He'd use his right hand, so I'd have to use my left.

http://www.esquire.com/features/what...wil0104frazier

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            After doing a little research, it appears he was right handed.

Joe Frazier: What I've Learned - Esquire

When I was born, people came to the house and gathered round to see if I was missin' an arm. See, my dad was missin' his left hand and part of his left forearm. And those people didn't realize that my dad's missin' arm didn't have nothing to do with genes. I never asked him what happened. Don't know what exactly. But the story I heard was that another man tried to kill him in an argument over a woman.

You could say that was the root of my left hook. When I was a boy, I used to pull a big cross saw with my dad. He'd use his right hand, so I'd have to use my left.

http://www.esquire.com/features/what...wil0104frazier
            Great find. Thx.

Comment

Working...
            X