Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushups.

i've heard that doing pushups changes your body shape is this true? thanks

pushups

They will build and tone your triceps, chest, deltoids, and lats.
    Depending on your hand placement. Close together builds tricpes, far apart works pecs. Shoulder wide builds deltoids.

Comment

it really does ive been doing pushups for 3 months and the difference is awesome

hundredpushups com will do your pushup program

Comment

Originally posted by barfly12 View Post
        Depending on your hand placement. Close together builds tricpes, far apart works pecs. Shoulder wide builds deltoids.
        Thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by saxofunk View Post
          it really does ive been doing pushups for 3 months and the difference is awesome

Sounds good i'll get right on it! thanks

Comment

Originally posted by saxofunk View Post

Gonna get on that! Gotta get my ass back into shape

Comment

dont do **** for boxing

and its not because i cant do them i was doing 100 a set a while ago

they dont matter at all

Comment

Originally posted by barfly12 View Post
                this dude knows this ****

Comment

Push ups can be a good part of a conditioning program but they have limitations. If you had dramatic changes in your body with pushups alone, then you probably started from a baseline where you weren't in great shape. Not a disrespect on you, we all start someplace.

Intensity in training is defined in different ways. How difficult something is can determine intensity. When it comes to resistence exercise, intensity is defined as the percentage of your 1 rep max. So if you can bench press or squat 200 lbs once, and can't do anymore, then 200 lbs for you is 100% intensity. Typically muscle growth occurs at 75% to 85% intensity. That's usually between 6-15 reps.

So once you can do more than 1 pushup, any additional repetitions are working on endurance, not strength. Once you can do more than 15 pushups, then you are no longer working on muscle growth.

I personally advocate pushups but they are not the end all be all. For body changes think on exercises that utilize a greater number of joints and muscle groups: squats, deadlifts, standing presses, cleans, pull ups, pull downs, dips... If you want to stay away from weights because you don't want to get too bulky you can do many of these with body weight. Do a variety of exercises that hit your legs, pushing motions (including pushups), and pulling motions.

Add in boxing training and yes, you will change your body.

Oh and maybe the most important factor, which I personally hate...DIET AND NUTRITION!

Comment

More on pushups

Jack Dempsey said that pushups were the single best calistenic to work your punching muscles. Your hand spacing dictactes what muscle groups are worked. When you do them index fingers and thumbs touching (diamonds, because of the shape your hands make) it works the triceps real well. Do them in sets of 25 and 50. Inbetween sets do leg raises or crunches. Anyone who says they don't help the boxer is simply doing them wrong or thinks they know more then Dempsey and world's top trainers. Pushups are a staple of the Cuban boxing team who as we all know is the best in the world. When you are up to it, have a partner put a weigh plate inbetween your shoulder blades and do push up like that. Sam Langford used to put a sandbag on his shoulders and he had incredible shoulder development. I use a 45 pound plate, but it took me years to build up to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X