Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Jack Dempsey's Gloves Loaded In Toledo, Ohio 1919?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were Jack Dempsey's Gloves Loaded In Toledo, Ohio 1919?

Vote and what are your thoughts of Jack Kearns' side of the story?

I had bet $10,000, which we could not afford to lose at 10-1, that Dempsey would win in the first round. If he did we would make a $ 100,000 –equivalent to Willard’s guarantee and substantially more than our own $27,500 guarantee. I had schemed and connived for too many years to let anything go wrong with a bet like that, let alone with the championship of the world. The hell with being a gallant loser I intended to win.

My plan had to do with a small white can sitting innocently among the fight gear on the kitchen table. I poured myself a nightcap and picked up the can, grinning at the neat blue letters on its side. All it said was “Talcum Powder”…I had bought another can of powder. This one was labeled “Plaster of Paris”…I placed the plaster of paris into the talcum powder can and replaced the lid. Set back among the fight gear –the bandages, the Vaseline, the razor blades, the cotton –it looked as innocent as any of them.

I quickly wound on Dempsey’s bandages under Moynahan’s vigilant inspection. After I finished with the wrappings I turned to Jimmy DeForest, my trainer, and pointed to the water bucket. “Give me that sponge well soaked with water”, I ordered, “I want to keep the kids hands cool.” The sponge, dripping with water, made a sloshing sound as I clamped it to the bandages on Dempsey’s hands. In a moment they were drenched through. “Now the talcum powder,” I directed DeForest, and he passed me the innocent looking can. I sprinkled the contents heavily over the bandages.” Moyhanan made no comment. Dempsey, who was entirely innocent of what had happened, stood there in almost a stupor. I had to smile as a call came to enter the ring.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5547/index.htm
    Yes
    30.43%
    No
    69.57%

Historian J.J. Johnston ended all discussion when he pointed out that “the films show Willard upon entering the ring walking over to Dempsey and examining his hands. That should end any possibility of plaster of paris or any other substance on his hands.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rubber Soul View Post
      Vote and what are your thoughts of Jack Kearns' side of the story?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5547/index.htm
      Not a chance. This has been disproven many times. Dempsey came into the ring before his gloves were put on and shook hands with Willard...on film. Talk of him holding a railroad bolt has also been dismissed many times over due to film and evidence. This shouldn't even be a question anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Chex31 View Post
        Historian J.J. Johnston ended all discussion when he pointed out that “the films show Willard upon entering the ring walking over to Dempsey and examining his hands. That should end any possibility of plaster of paris or any other substance on his hands.”
        Isn't there a possibility that in the overwhelming anticipation and excitement of the Event, that Jess Willard may have been apprehensive and nervous? That just maybe Willard may not have been thinking with a clear head? Ofcourse I am speaking hypothetically here but isn't there a possibility that Dempsey's gloves were indeed loaded and that Willard may not have noticed it?

I mean if you were to say that Margarito was loaded vs Cotto....than you would also imply that the NSAC official who signed off Tony's glove may have missed it?

Also. In his lifetime. How many loaded gloves had Willard inspected? Was he some sort of expert? Handwraps are hard enough as they are and if he was not trained earlier to inspect gloves properly than surely the 'film' evidence doesn't completely dispel this accusation.
        Last edited by Stone Roses!; 05-29-2010, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Isn't there a possibility that in the overwhelming anticipation and excitement of the Event, that Jess Willard may have been apprehensive and nervous? That just maybe Willard may not have been thinking with a clear head? Ofcourse I am speaking hypothetically here but isn't there a possibility that Dempsey's gloves were indeed loaded and that Willard may not have noticed it?

I mean if you were to say that Margarito was loaded vs Cotto....than you would also imply that the NSAC official who signed off Tony's glove may have missed it?

Also. In his lifetime. How many loaded gloves had Willard inspected? Was he some sort of expert? Handwraps are hard enough as they are and if he was not trained earlier to inspect gloves properly than surely the 'film' evidence doesn't completely dispel this accusation.

We can speculate forever. In the end there is no more proof Dempsey loaded his gloves against Willard than there is is Margs did so against Cotto. AND... the overwhelming proof shows otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

We can speculate forever. In the end there is no more proof Dempsey loaded his gloves against Willard than there is is Margs did so against Cotto. AND... the overwhelming proof shows otherwise.
            Well a detailed account from his very own trainer is 'proof' enough for this so called 'rumour' to be taken seriously. Now we can get into the whole discussion about Kearns' split from Dempsey and how he was just out to smear Jack because he was sore.

Comment

Well a detailed account from his very own trainer is 'proof' enough for this so called 'rumour' to be taken seriously. Now we can get into the whole discussion about Kearns' split from Dempsey and how he was just out to smear Jack because he was sore.
              Kearns can say what ever he wants so many years later, it doesn't change the fact that what he said has been debunked not only with film, but scientifically.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Kearns can say what ever he wants so many years later, it doesn't change the fact that what he said has been debunked not only with film, but scientifically.
                Kearns was not some nut hugging reporter who clings onto the balls of Dempsey. He was his Trainer. That fact alone is simply immense. Debunked with Flim? Not entirely. read above post. Scientifically? You mean that little primary school science experiment conducted on Cleve Williams?

The fact remains that this is the account of Jack Dempsey's trainer. This is substantial evidence.

Comment

Kearns was not some nut hugging reporter who clings onto the balls of Dempsey. He was his Trainer. That fact alone is simply immense. Debunked with Flim? Not entirely. read above post. Scientifically? You mean that little primary school science experiment conducted on Cleve Williams?

The fact remains that this is the account of Jack Dempsey's trainer. This is substantial evidence.
                  Sorry my man but there is NO substantial evidence, only hearsay from a bitter man who lost a bet. Dempsey came in the ring WITHOUT his gloves on. He shook hands with Willard, his cornermen, the ref and god only knows how hany other people. Why didn't anyone notice the so called "plaster" Kearns loaded his gloves with?

Comment

Dempsey was loaded!!!!! It's been known for years!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X