Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this prove GGG is miles ahead of the competition?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
    That is exactly what he is saying. Manny got those fights, GGG can't. Possibly due to his promotional team. The division is weak and he still cannot get any other "champs" to fight him.
    That's not the point. There are no Barrera's or Morales' for him to fight. It's the same problem Ward has, but worse.

If you're an outsider like Golovkin is you need recognisable stars to beat in order to become a star yourself. Only with the arrival of Cotto and Canelo on the scene does that become a possibility for Golovkin. Prior to this he had no options whatsoever.

Also, Morales and Barrera feared no man living or dead and had no issues stepping in the ring with Pacquiao. Whatever about Canelo, I don't see Cotto adopting the same attitude with Golovkin.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
      That is exactly what he is saying. Manny got those fights, GGG can't. Possibly due to his promotional team. The division is weak and he still cannot get any other "champs" to fight him.
      That is exactly what I'm saying, thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        That's not the point. There are no Barrera's or Morales' for him to fight. It's the same problem Ward has, but worse.

If you're an outsider like Golovkin is you need recognisable stars to beat in order to become a star yourself. Only with the arrival of Cotto and Canelo on the scene does that become a possibility for Golovkin. Prior to this he had no options whatsoever.

Also, Morales and Barrera feared no man living or dead and had no issues stepping in the ring with Pacquiao. Whatever about Canelo, I don't see Cotto adopting the same attitude with Golovkin.
        Mad respect for Barrera and Morales and them being fearless may have had something to do with it, but man before Cotto there was Sergio and Canelo was always an option @ 154

I think GGG should have been steered towards a belt at 154 and hold belts in two divisions at once ala Floyd, but you know actually defend them and stuff. If he can make the weight easy than why not, much bigger fish at 147-154 than 160-168

Comment

Well it took Pac two and a half years after arriving in the US to get Barrera. The Rubio fight will mark the two year anniversary of Golovkin fighting on US soil. He hasn't fallen too far behind in those terms just yet.

Comment

Well it took Pac two and a half years after arriving in the US to get Barrera. The Rubio fight will mark the two year anniversary of Golovkin fighting on US soil. He hasn't fallen too far behind in those terms just yet.
            Good point, but I'm glad that the WBC bent the rules to allow the interim title be unified even though it doesn't make sense it will put pressure on Cotto or Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
              Let's be honest Jermaine Taylor is a weak champ, Cotto isn't really a middleweight, and Peter Quillen isn't nothing special. How ahead do you think Triple G really is? Lara. Should consider moving up since aside from Triple G, it's a weak division.
              What exactly is supposed to prove that? I think GGG could stop any other middleweight, but it has certainly not been proven. Cotto looked a beast last time out and I would not rule him out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                Soliman was looking pretty good until he got injured, so I don't think it really proves anything at all.

Lara would get his shit pushed in by most of the top MWs, the guy was getting dropped by Angulo.
                ^ This.

Soliman was on his way to defending and was in command until he got hurt. I just hope he had a rematch clause in the contract.

I can't believe the guy finished the fight. I guarantee he has torn ligaments in his knee.

Comment

I don't see anyone at MW beating GGG.

That's more because of how weak the division is, than how good GGG is.

Comment

Yeah fighting Geale, who imo should still have his belt, is pretty close to what Pac was doing around the same time. But Pac I think did more.
                    Last edited by BigZigga; 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
                      Let's be honest Jermaine Taylor is a weak champ, Cotto isn't really a middleweight, and Peter Quillen isn't nothing special. How ahead do you think Triple G really is? Lara. Should consider moving up since aside from Triple G, it's a weak division.
                      Taylor is just holding that belt till someone else comes along. Probably Quillin. I really think Quillin v Cotto should happen as its unlikely either guy will face GGG.

But officially Cotto is ranked one having beaten the previous best...if or until he is dethroned, we cam't go around calling GGG the best middleweight, considering his two best wins are Geale and Macklin, in some 10 "defences" of his title.

Comment

Working...
                      X