No announcement yet.

defense for a taller boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defense for a taller boxer

i need some help with my defense because i still get hit alot, even by obvious punches.
    slipping and weaving helps now and then but when im taller than my oponent it feels a bit awkward.
    when i watch clips of tall boxers like Thomas Hearns and Lennox Lewis, they very rarely slip or weave, they mostly seem to be leaning back so that the punch misses their face by just a few inches
    isn't that quite a dangerous defense? because you could easily get off balance and be hit in the stomach.

so basically what im asking is: what are some good defensive moves for the taller boxer? (all kind of moves are welcome: range, footwork, upper body movement, lateral movement...) and how can i work on them outside of sparring? I just get hit way too much imo by silly punches
    also are there any other tricks on how to avoid punches? for example tricks to see them comming early or predict them?

Practise your jab, 1-2 and footwork. If you have a significant reach advantage that is all you need, your jab to control the range of the fight and the 1-2 for when they try get inside the reach of your jab. Your footwork needs to be automatic so you can keep control of the range so they can't just maul you into the ropes. Theres nothing harder than fighting a much taller opponent in am's as straight punches are so much easier to score with than inside blows which hardly ever get scored. Basically practise practise practise, my friend.

Comment

thanks
      i do indeed have some problems with my footwork probably, i never cross my feet but i guess my range is either too far away when im trying attack, or too close when i'm trying to defend

i dont think i have that much of a reach advantage because my arms arent that long
      my wingspan is only 2 inches longer that my height i think
      i almost exclusively use straight punches, i rarely throw hooks

the problem is i'm mostly the one going forward.
      when i'm not going forward and my opponent isn't either, they'll tell ME to go forward because i'm a novice and i need to be more active.
      my opponents don't try to get inside too much but they just dont seem to have trouble with hitting me at range, even if they are shorter

sometimes they will tell me to fight backward too, but i'm not very good at that im afraid. i actually feel comfortable when going forward and thats also why i used tommy hearns as an example earlier, he also went forward alot.
      hearns had a very long reach too tho...

so should i just practice on fighting on my backfoot or are there some good tricks that will allow me to go forward as the taller boxer and still not get hit much.

also can someone please answer the leaning back question i asked in my thread?
      and what are maybe some good boxers i should watch to improve knowing my situation? (tall boxers with good defense)

Comment

ive found that the best form of defence i have is my jab.
        this means you have to have a high work rate, but every time theyre in range you jab, and if they try and get close - as someone else said, 1-2 them.
        now it sounds to me that if you are not stopping people coming forward with this, maybe you need to work on your jab.
        dont try and weave, if you are much taller, just keep a mental measuring of distance. also, get the footwork going, so if they do try to rush into the inside, just side step out of it.

Comment

You can still slip and weave but if you are significantly taller then keep your distance and use your reach! You watched Hearns and Lewis, so pay attention to what they do and tie em up on inside. Also, drop in the right hand and hooks when they make their way in.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
            You can still slip and weave but if you are significantly taller then keep your distance and use your reach! You watched Hearns and Lewis, so pay attention to what they do and tie em up on inside. Also, drop in the right hand and hooks when they make their way in.
            what do you mean with "tie em up on inside"?
            also: should I always wait for my opponent or should I be the agressor aswell? my coaches often tell me to attack even if I'm the taller one.
            so when i attack i usually step in with a jab (or a few jabs and a cross) and try to step out again.
            but i often get hit while trying to step out again. So i know i must simply step out faster. But are there also other defence manouvres that will help me not get hit after an attack? (like leaning back, pivot etc...) just tell me any move that works well for a tall oponent.
            thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by made in bed View Post
              also: should I always wait for my opponent or should I be the agressor aswell? my coaches often tell me to attack even if I'm the taller one.
              so when i attack i usually step in with a jab (or a few jabs and a cross) and try to step out again.
              but i often get hit while trying to step out again. So i know i must simply step out faster. But are there also other defence manouvres that will help me not get hit after an attack? (like leaning back, pivot etc...) just tell me any move that works well for a tall oponent.
              thanks!
              yeah if you have height and reach on your opponents, keep em on the end of your punches by moving straight at them behind stiff jabs and right hands, force them back with the straight punches

if you are gettign hit while stepping out, you probably have a problem that i used to have, which is being open after/when you throw a combo: remember, hands up at cheekbones elbows in, the arm that isnt punching should be tucked in defensively, and when you have finished your combo make sure you arent too square on (lead shoulder turned slightly sideways) and have your guard in tight, then move just out of range to avoid their attack, and then move straight back in with a combo as soon as they stop punching

i know all this lol because a fight i had in august that was agaisnt a short aggressive guy and i won on points just with long punches, tight guard and moving in/out of range

Comment

thanks!
                Maybe when you step out you are going straight back? If you go to the side then even when you attack you should have the reach advantage. I think you need to focus on staying in the middle of the ring more, so they come to you and you can pick them off. Try that instead because you aremost likely getting banged out on the ropes. Alot of tall fighters do not like the middle because it makes gthem work more. Try controlling the middle of the ring but use alot of lateral movement or you will become a sitting duck. Tie them up if they push you back. This simply means close in on them and grab their elbows or anything else if you get into real trouble. When you are told to break, you have regained your reach advantage.

Comment

thanks!
                  You need to step out at angles, not straight back. After you punch, you need to move your head. Its a concept known as breaking at the hip.

Comment

just have a good gaurd im a taller boxer for my weight and i dont get hit alot as of my guard, also use lean back then come over with your own shots, also good footwork + gaurd and you wont get hit alot as if they catch you your hands are up and if not you should be moving around.

Comment

Working...
                    X