No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson's Top 3 trainers...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson's Top 3 trainers...

1st place: Kevin Rooney (An easy one! He helped coast Mike to a 35-0 Rec. For evidence, look at the Berbick, Holmes & Spinks fights.. )
    2nd place: Teddy Atlas (Mike was worried before one of his Amateur fights. Teddy used the right psychology to put him in the right frame of mind. Shame what had happened between them.)
    3rd place: Rich Giachetti (Not sure many feel this way but Richie may have been the man he should have stuck with in a post-Rooney career. He may not have been technically as good as with Rooney, but God was he fierce! Look at the Stewart, Tillman, Ruddock II, and Holyfield II "Bite Aside" fights. Futhermore, when he got rocked by Ruddock, Rich screamed at him and he came back strong in the next couple of rounds. Perhaps this would've happened in Holyfield II had it gone on..)

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    1st place: Kevin Rooney (An easy one! He helped coast Mike to a 35-0 Rec. For evidence, look at the Berbick, Holmes & Spinks fights.. )
    2nd place: Teddy Atlas (Mike was worried before one of his Amateur fights. Teddy used the right psychology to put him in the right frame of mind. Shame what had happened between them.)
    3rd place: Rich Giachetti (Not sure many feel this way but Richie may have been the man he should have stuck with in a post-Rooney career. He may not have been technically as good as with Rooney, but God was he fierce! Look at the Stewart, Tillman, Ruddock II, and Holyfield II "Bite Aside" fights. Futhermore, when he got rocked by Ruddock, Rich screamed at him and he came back strong in the next couple of rounds. Perhaps this would've happened in Holyfield II had it gone on..)

Cus D'Amato was the man who formed and shaped Tyson into what he would become. He was also the guy who taught both Atlas and Rooney the system and style to train Mike. Without D'Amato it is unlikely Tyson would have achieved the same success he had. Without him it was only a matter of time before he fell apart. Rooney, Atlas and Giachetti are all a distant second to the man who made everything possible for Tyson.

Comment

Atlas would have been the greatest influence between & beyond the ropes, but D'Amato's fantasies of one last HW Champion in his stable was the platform for poisoning what would have been a very productive relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        Atlas would have been the greatest influence between & beyond the ropes, but D'Amato's fantasies of one last HW Champion in his stable was the platform for poisoning what would have been a very productive relationship.
        Im not following. Could you elaborate a bit?

Comment

I like Rich Giachetti as a trainer, but for Tyson it was never the same after Rooney. Rooney was an extention of D'Amato's training but he blended with Tyson like no other.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Im not following. Could you elaborate a bit?
            I think what he's saying is Atlas would have been the best influence, but Cus was too consumed with the idea of having one last great HW that a strict trainer like Teddy who believed in disciplining a fighter was a threat to a guy as fragile as Mike. Cus would rather let Mike get away with a lot of things he shouldn't and fire Teddy than risk losing the guy he believed was his last, and greatest fighter.

I agree with this. Teddy was an excellent trainer for Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Cus D'Amato was the man who formed and shaped Tyson into what he would become. He was also the guy who taught both Atlas and Rooney the system and style to train Mike. Without D'Amato it is unlikely Tyson would have achieved the same success he had. Without him it was only a matter of time before he fell apart. Rooney, Atlas and Giachetti are all a distant second to the man who made everything possible for Tyson.

Didn't include Cus as I and many regard him as his MENTOR not TRAINER...

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                I think what he's saying is Atlas would have been the best influence, but Cus was too consumed with the idea of having one last great HW that a strict trainer like Teddy who believed in disciplining a fighter was a threat to a guy as fragile as Mike. Cus would rather let Mike get away with a lot of things he shouldn't and fire Teddy than risk losing the guy he believed was his last, and greatest fighter.

I agree with this. Teddy was an excellent trainer for Mike.
                Ok, that makes perfect sense and I agree. D'Amato still taught him the skills and style that made him what he became though. As far as who trained him best, it has to be Cus. Teddy and Rooney were just following the map D'Amato laid out.

Comment

But the fact is he did train him and you can see the style infused in Tyson was the same as with Patterson and Torres.

Comment

This is not true, Cus was mentor, manager and trainer all in one. He trained him physically and psychologically, and many other ways. Cus trained every aspect of Tyson as if he were a dog.

Comment

Working...
                    X