No announcement yet.

Dumbell Fly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbell Fly

Does this excersise help at all with hooking power? Does a hook incorporate these muscles?

Just wondering

The speed of your hooks and the strength at witch you throw them depend on your punching technique and not how much weight you can lift. Dumbell flyes just work your inner chest

Comment

If you don't have sufficient upper body strength for throwing hooks, that is one excercise that could be a part of a workout to remedy this. It depends entirely on what your weak point is.

Keep in mind, though, that a punch (be it a straight, hook or uppercut) has to be thrown with your whole body to be effective. It takes leg-, hip- and abdominal strength to throw a punch, as well as arm strength.

I'm left handed, yet I fight in the traditional stance. Because of this I've always had problems throwing right hooks. It felt like my shoulder and upper arm just wasn't strong enough, to the point where it would become painful to connect with a right hook. I lift weights on a regular basis, mostly big excercises like powercleans, squats and deadlifts, but to remedy this weakness, i started doing work for my shoulders and arms more specifically. Dumbell flyes, barbell bicep curls and other isolation exceersises for my arms, that I would otherwise never dream of doing. I must say, it has actually helped my right hook out a lot, as well as my left.

Comment

Originally posted by Prospekt
        The speed of your hooks and the strength at witch you throw them depend on your punching technique and not how much weight you can lift. Dumbell flyes just work your inner chest
        While you're right that technique is an important factor, explosiveness is actually dependent on maximum strength. Generally, if your strength goes up, so does your speed.
        Why do you think sprinters, some of the fastest, most explosive people on the planet, do as much weight training as they do sprint training? It takes strength to accelerate an object, including your fist while throwing a hook.

Comment

Working...
        X