Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Mike Tyson Be The GOAT If He Had Retired Undefeated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Mike Tyson Be The GOAT If He Had Retired Undefeated?

Say he had fought all of the same guys, only he had beaten all of them (most by KO, of course.) Would he have gone down in history as the best ever?

Yes.

At least in my opinion.

Comment

If he would've KOed Holyfield and Lewis then he'd have a strong case even if he still lost the other fights that he lost, he'd be the best Heavyweight ever in my book. The 2 losses he had at the end of his career don't mean anything to me, he was an old broke fighter fighting for a check, just like Joe Louis did at the end of his career, losses like this can't tarnish you legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
        Say he had fought all of the same guys, only he had beaten all of them (most by KO, of course.) Would he have gone down in history as the best ever?
        Had he fought Deontays rWilder resume he would be undefeated to this date

Comment

Yes sure I would have considered him as that beating all the opponents he had faced It'd be hard to match it I think Tyson had a harder career path than some of the legends in the HW division but like Ali said you don't remain with your 0 if you're fighting everyone you should and he is correct with that case and example Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
            Yes sure I would have considered him as that beating all the opponents he had faced It'd be hard to match it I think Tyson had a harder career path than some of the legends in the HW division but like Ali said you don't remain with your 0 if you're fighting everyone you should and he is correct with that case and example Floyd Mayweather.
            yea how dare Floyd not lose to someone like Buster Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
              By the time Tyson lost to Douglas, his best wins were:

Spinks
              Holmes
              Berbick
              Smith
              Tucker
              Bruno
              Biggs

Spinks was a great fighter but probably looking to cash out and not a truly great heavyweight. Holmes was past his best and came in looking like a slob. The others are just ok. It's the manner of victories that really stand out.

However, if Tyson had beaten Douglas and then gone through the 90s and beaten prime Holyfield and prime Lewis (and if those 2 had carried on having great careers) plus wins over some of the other guys, then he could arguably be the best heavyweight and one of the top 3 fighters of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by larryusa View Post
                yea how dare Floyd not lose to someone like Buster Douglass
                Luis Castillo and Marcos Maidana was Floyd Mayweather's Buster Douglass but difference be that Tyson got KOed by his dude If he got to the cards he'd have took the win via robbery just like Floyd did.

Mike Tyson fought in a much stronger era and in a division where it only takes one punch to genuinely change the outcome unlike Floyd who has fought at lower weight divisions guys who don't have much of a power shot.

Comment

Goat is subjective....with all the things he had ,the biggest was Tysons punch out that made him actually more known to the younger generation than hios actual boxing,then being undefeated in the fashion he did and youngest champion in history,it would be hard to argue for or against it. Ali still had a era of more impact on a social scale and Lewis beat out better guys but nothing Tyson wouldn't be able to do himself with rooney. I would say he would still need to get the early 90's guys withoput going to prison...bowe/Lewis and Holyfield and he would have cemented it sealed shut.

Goat to me is having impact on the sport and outside the ring in general combined with skills. On skills alone he was a step over everyone when he was with Rooney.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X