Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters Who Were So Close To Victory, But Had It Snatched Away?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters Who Were So Close To Victory, But Had It Snatched Away?

Name fighters who were so close to a victory, but had it snatched away from them, when winning comfortable/easy. Don't name robbries/bad decisions

The obvious on is Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez. But try and name a few others.

I'll start
    Micheal Moorer vs George Foreman
    Yvon Durelle vs Archie Moore
    Jermain Taylor vs Carl Froch
    Herol Grahem vs Julian Jackson/Charles Brewer
    Ron Lyle vs Muhammad Ali
    Last edited by MeccaOfBoxing; 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM.

Chavez vs. Taylor 1. I still hate Richard Steele for that horrible decision. He had that 10 second light right in front of him and Taylor earned the right to continue. Chavez even called that fight a gift later.

Just thought of another one. Toney/Nunn. Nunn was ahead and then Toney landed that monster left hook to put Nunn on the canvas and followed up with some hard shots to get the stoppage in the 11th.

Jersey Joe Walcott was also comfortably ahead in the first fight with Marciano for the heavyweight title and got knocked out by Rocky in the
    13th.

Ricardo Rivera also was close to stopping Kevin Kelley in the 6th. Kelley weathered the storm and made the comeback with a monster left in the 9th for the KO win.

I remember an Arturo Gatti fight he was losing and hurt bad where he changed it with one shot, I think against Wilson Rodriguez where he pulled off a left hook and finished the guy off in the next round.

Comment

LaMotta-Dauthuille II - KO 15 in the final minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
        LaMotta-Dauthuille II - KO 15 in the final minute.
        Great pick!!!!

Comment

Mike Weaver-John Tate
          John David Jackson-Jorge Castro 1

Comment

Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenEra View Post
              Name fighters who were so close to a victory, but had it snatched away from them, when winning comfortable/easy. Don't name robbries/bad decisions

The obvious on is Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez. But try and name a few others.

I'll start
              Micheal Moorer vs George Foreman
              Yvon Durelle vs Archie Moore
              Jermain Taylor vs Carl Froch
              Librado Andrade vs Lucian Bute I
              Herol Grahem vs Julian Jackson/Charles Brewer
              Ron Lyle vs Muhammad Ali
              Howard Davis vs Edwin Rosario. Davis gets knocked down with seconds left in the fighting, causing him to lose the fight by split decision. He was winning the round up to that point.

Comment

In Chacon-Limon 4 and Vazquez-Marquez 3, both Limon and Marquez were dropped within the last 15 seconds of the fight (Marquez within the last 10).

They both lost on the cards by one point.

Comment

Jermain Taylor was so close to knocking out Kelly Pavlik in the third (?) round of their first fight and then Pavlik came back to finish him off. Maybe not what you were looking for, but it's what I first thought of after Chavez-Taylor (which I think of as the right decision).

Comment

Carlos Tejron vs Shemuel Pagan 2010 ny golden gloves.
                    figure I'd break up the monotony of pro boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X