Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: 118-110 Score for Leonard-Hagler 'About Worst I've Seen'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonard feared Hagler

Leonard was so fearful of Hagler that he waited for Duran to fight him first, then waited 3 years, and further insisted on a huge ring and 10 oz. thumbless gloves before signing to fight him. And the guy commenting above says Hagler cried for 30 years. Hagler got screwed. Hagler almost seemed arm weary in the later rounds and Hagler never got tired. I don't believe he anticipated the effect the heavier gloves would have on him. All things equal, with a normal size ring, Hagler would have destroyed Leonard, and Leonard knew it, and knows it. If the fight had been 15 rounds in 1984, when Duran fought him, Leonard would have been beaten worse.

Comment

Facts...

In my opinion SRL is the greatest fighter of all-time. Hagler is the greatest middleweight of all-time.

Hagler was SUPPOSED to kill SRL. He thought he was going to walk right through Ray. He under-estimated Ray's greatness and he paid for it. SRL won the fight 7-5. Hagler fought orthodox early and gave away too many rounds. That's a FACT. Ray was big enough and strong enough, to take whatever Hagler threw at him. Stop acting like Hagler controlled the fight. He didn't. He came on a bit too late to claim he won the fight. Ray was the perfect fighter. When he danced/moved in the ring, he did it because he WANTED to. No opponent ever made him move. He had great condition, speed, power, legs, toughness, and ring IQ. Just pay attention to how any fighters move because they don't know what they are doing. Think Thurman, Lara, Algeri, Khan, etc.

Comment

114-114 canelo-Floyd scorecard was equally absurd

Comment

In my book Hagler is the best MiddleWeight Champion of all time...and Leonard was in it to survive not to thrive against Hagler

Comment

Originally posted by future hendrixx View Post
            hagler shoulda asked for a rematch instead of retiring and crying for 30 years.
            Originally posted by wmute View Post
            This is what happened.

Leonard announces retirement in May 1987 after the Hagler fight.
            Hagler announces retirement in June 1988.
            In August 1988 Leonard signs to fight Donnie Lalonde in his comeback fight.

You do the math.
            As someone mentioned in a previous thread, Haggler waited around for a while to try and get the rematch.

Comment

Fight was close, I thought Hagler won though.

Comment

It turned out to be much more competitive fight than most people expected with Leonard's speed and movement coupled with his ability to handle Hagler's power. They landed almost the same amount of punches but it could be argued that Hagler's were more damaging. Sugar Ray actually said in his book that he didn't think he won that fight but it was close nonetheless. The real travesty of course was the one inexcusable score card. Unfortunately things haven't really changed that much as far as judges in boxing are concerned.

Comment

Working...
                X