No announcement yet.

1998 De la Hoya vs 2008 Floyd and Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
    This would be a much different fight. Oscar was more of a tactician at this point in his game. Much sharper, faster, and more versatile in what he could do in the ring. He was also much lighter on his feet.

I think as it pertains to Floyd Oscar would be much more accurate in how he mounted an offense. He wouldn't resort to a attack the body gameplan like he did in 2007. Floyd has a very underrated chin but I think Oscars work rate would turn the tide of the fight and maybe we would have seen a different Floyd we hadn't really seen before. I think Oscar's size and power would give him the edge in controlling the fight to a UD or late tko.

For Pacquiao it is tricky. I think it would be a closer fight, but I'd tap Oscar to pull out a UD. Unless however he was able to land enough damage to thwart Pacquiao from getting into a groove of his own in and out rapid fire combos. I think with this particular fight Pacquiao would be in a serious risk of getting taken out. Oscar is just a much bigger guy. Sure Pacquiao would hurt Oscar but not to the extent of his plodding self in 2008. Oscar has a granite chin and could very easily wind up in a toss up. So as long that Pacquiao uses his legs and avoids Oscars left at all cost.

This is a ridiculous comparison. You are comparing what would be a 22 year-old fighter in his prime to a guy who would be 30 and slightly past his prime (Mayweather) in mythical matchup.

These mythical matchups are always ridiculous because you always compare a former great in his prime to the Floyd Mayweather of today. Any great welterweight in their prime, such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran or Thomas Hearns, would likely beat the well-past-his-prime 38 year-old Mayweather we saw Saturday night. Trying to compare them in their primes is ******ed because, in his prime, Mayweather fought at 130.

Comment

Oscar beats both

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        Nope take your rose tinted glasses off. Floyd did fight slightly flat footed, but I can guarantee you that had more to do with tactics then the weight having that much of an effect on him. He fought cautiously and it was the first time in his career that he was in with such a devastating puncher as Oscar, especially with the left hook. Floyd is great, but there were some unknowns for him going into this fight and he was in with by far the best fighter he had fought up to that point. His uncle and in particular Floyd Snr were well aware of Oscar's strengths, and they were not about to have Floyd run into a big left hook by leaping in. I felt he used bits of what worked well for Quartey and Mosley, but Quartey in particular, just executed better. I remember thinking before the fight that Floyd would run into something eventually, because of the way he had fought his last few fights, but after watching the first two rounds it was obvious it was never going to happen, he fought in a way that reduced those chances to nearly zero and he was even willing to give rounds away to workrate to ensure he didn't get caught.

In terms of the topic - I think Oscar and Floyd at 147 with Oscar in his prime is a close fight. Too close to call, its 50-50 for me. Oscar was semi-retired and over the hill when he fought Floyd. I think a prime Oscar most likely knocks Pacquiao out. I'm not a particularly big Oscar fan, in fact I hated him after he beat Chavez, but I know what a great fighter he was at his best.
        Weight had something to do with how this fight played out and it's not even a discussion man,Floyd was much heavier and slower offensively and defensively, definitley not the same Mayweather that fought Baldomir, not the same agility or athleticism whatsoever, too flat footed in a big part of the fight. This is not the typical cautios Floyd Mayweather, he didn't do bad but again he wasn't as agile or evasive as he normally is, I remember watching the fight and I was thinking something is causing Floyd to be extremely tight tonight and I was shocked by how bad his footwork was that night defensively, he did enough to win but that day I thought I just saw the 2nd worst performance of Floyd's career.

Floyd moved up from 140 to 154 in less than 2 years, I'm sure at 147 this would be a different fight, easier win for Floyd if he fights his normal fight, if he's just himself just like his uncle was telling him during the fight.
        Last edited by Ahmed_Ismail; 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Old man Oscar who had fought once in 3 years and was snorting coke and wearing fishnets during training camp managed to get a split decision and Floyd Sr. said Oscar won in the ring after the fight.
          Prime Oscar would beat both Jr. and Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
            Old man Oscar who had fought once in 3 years and was snorting coke and wearing fishnets during training camp managed to get a split decision and Floyd Sr. said Oscar won in the ring after the fight.
            Were you with him as he was snorting coke in training camp? Oscar was probably in the best shape he's ever been in since 2001. The guy beat the WBC champion at the time by a KO in 6 rounds in his previous fight. Oscar was only 4 years older, Floyd was fighting at the weight class for the 1st time whereas Oscar had been a 154 pounder since 2001, Floyd moved up to 147 at the end of 2005, the difference in size between the 2 was significant with at least 15 lbs weight advantage on fight night for Oscar, Floyd was also made to fight with 10 oz. pillows with extra padding.

Floyd sr. said Oscar would win by the point system, in case u dont know what that is this is the system that they used in the olypmics, once u touch ur opponent with the front of the glove u get a point, which is not how pro boxing is scored.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
              Only an idiot watching in Oscarvision would think that fight was a spilt decision type of fight.

Also, do you have evidence that Oscar was snorting coke during training camp for that fight or are you just talking out if your ass again?

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                This is a ridiculous comparison. You are comparing what would be a 22 year-old fighter in his prime to a guy who would be 30 and slightly past his prime (Mayweather) in mythical matchup.

These mythical matchups are always ridiculous because you always compare a former great in his prime to the Floyd Mayweather of today. Any great welterweight in their prime, such as Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran or Thomas Hearns, would likely beat the well-past-his-prime 38 year-old Mayweather we saw Saturday night. Trying to compare them in their primes is ******ed because, in his prime, Mayweather fought at 130.
                The title literally says a 2008 Floyd. So a 31 year old Floyd. And most other mythical matchups don't even have a 2015 Floyd. They're usually comparing a 2007 Floyd.

Comment

Prime oscar beats prime pac. Prime oscar and prime Floyd is 50/50 imo.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    Only an idiot watching in Oscarvision would think that fight was a spilt decision type of fight.

Also, do you have evidence that Oscar was snorting coke during training camp for that fight or are you just talking out if your ass again?
                    He said the photos were taken in 2007 so we know he wasn't living a clean life the year he fought Floyd. Coke or no coke he had been abusing alcohol for years prior he said in a Univision interview before he went to rehab.
                    But hey, if you want to believe Floyd beat the best, or even a good, version of Oscar and not a shell of his former self, don't let me ruin your party.

Comment

Prime Oscar beats both prime Pacquiao and prime Floyd

Comment

Working...
                      X