Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bob Arum: HBO and Showtime Don't Belong In Boxing Anymore

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does bob even know that boxing is entertainment? LMMFAO!

Comment

It doesn't matter what companies enter or leave the boxing game because the corruption, greedyness, and so called different side of the street( as Spence would say) are not going to change anything about boxing.

Comment

Nothing he said was "wrong" per se. However, HBO will get out of the boxing business muuuch quicker than Showtime will. Especially at this rate. They won't open up their budget, which shows they have put boxing on the back burner. With Canelo and Golovkin threatening to leave (due to budget restraints), they don't have any logical reason to stay in the sport.

I'm glad Arum was candid about being reluctant to say all of this WHILE he was with HBO. Hindsight is always 20/20.

What will be even more interesting is where GoldenBoy decides to go. ESPN? Oscar talked soooo much ***** about joining them. FOX? Oscar said he's above that. Showtime? Oscar says he'd never go there. DAZN? Oscar doesn't think too highly of Hearn and seemingly feels threatened.

If I'm Canelo, I'm going the Oscar, Floyd, Cotto route - fighting under my own promotion. He's big enough now. He can still break bread and get co-promoted by Oscar though. Once that happens, Oscar will be forced to play nice and eat some humble pie and join forces with one of the three networks because he won't have that proverbial "ace in the hole" any longer keeping him afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
          Many more would say that Bob is the one that doesn't belong in boxing anymore.
          do you really believe boxing will be better when Arum leaves the game? Take your hating blinders off and see the reality! The greedyness, corruption, and so called different sides of the street will still be here. For some reason, when all else fails, the notion is to blame Arum even if he had nothing to do with it! No one blames Haymon for Spence not getting Thurman, Porter, or Garcia in the ring! They blame the fighters. The hate for Thurman and Porter are growing by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrij View Post
            If Canelo & GGG are leaving HBO then they don't have stars anymore. Only future stars like Bivol & Munguia left.
            Good point. If GBP leaves HBO then its pretty much a wrap for boxing on the network. That would be disappointing.

It sure was great when HBO would put on great fights and SHO had to put on great fights at smaller weights just to get in the business.

Oh how times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              LAS VEGAS A few hours before the biggest boxing match of 2018, Bob Arum wasn't ready to call Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin the last high-profile pay-per-view fight HBO would ever televise. The outspoken promoter, whose company long prospered from its work with HBO, is still convinced that the premium cable network soon will move away from broadcasting boxing. Arum also suspects Showtime, which has committed more dates and resources to boxing in recent years than its longtime rival, won't continue airing boxing much longer, either.
              [Click Here To Read More]
              Bob’s a real one, i have always said Boxing and PPV is such a outdated model. Boxing has to be on big FTA platforms like CBS, NBC, ABC etc it’s too small a sport to profit from behind Preimum networks.

Comment

Bob might be right about HBO and SHO, when it comes to their priorities. Boxing is not the #1 priority! However, I think Stephen Espinoza of Showtime has done a helluva better job than Peter Nelson of HBO, at least for the fans! Much less PPV fights on Showtime! I think Haymon knows what Bob is talking about, which is why he's aligning with FOX! FOX Sports will be the primary rival to ESPN! You already see it with Skip & Shannon, Colin Herd, etc.!

September 5, 2018:

The four-year, multi-platform agreement, expected to begin in December, will feature 10 "marquee fight nights" annually in prime time on the Fox broadcast network with 12 more cards slated to air on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Deportes each year. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Ring magazine reported that Fox would pay out more than $60 million annually under the agreement.

The announcement also specifically mentioned that the package will include Fox Sports-PBC pay-per-view events and that Fox will produce the telecasts, which was not the case for the previous time-buy cards on Fox. In all, Fox said it will produce more than 175 hours of original PBC content per year across its channels.

"We're thrilled to expand our relationship with the PBC in coming years and take the world's best boxers to the next level by exposing them to the widest possible audiences across Fox, FS1 and FOX Deportes," Fox Sports national networks president Mark Silverman said. "While Fox Sports has been invested in boxing as a key property on both FS1 and Fox Deportes, this will be the first time in more than 30 years that boxing will be regularly featured in prime time on network television."

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...four-year-deal

Comment

schmuck boxing
                  Nice to know what he thinks about the sport

Comment

CBS bought boxingscene in June? That slipped me by. You get a cut of that action BPP?

Comment

Hbo has been trash for a while and Showtime boxing isn't much better either. They aren't getting casual fans interested

Comment

Working...
                      X