No announcement yet.

Best of these three boxers: Eubank, Collins and Benn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of these three boxers: Eubank, Collins and Benn

Who was the best of the three boxers, Eubank, Benn and Collins?

Not just in terms of flashiness, but overall including perseverance, chin and fortitude?
    Eubank
    60.87%
    Collins
    26.09%
    Benn
    13.04%

The poll is expired.

I vote for eubank..

Collins is like the glen johnson of the group,, great wins but just not as skilled

Benn is like an iran Barkley, good banger, a warrior, but not that skilled compared to Eubank

Comment

For me it's clearly Collins, who beat Benn twice and Eubank twice. But for some reason, he doesn't receive much recognition or credit.

Let's not forget, Collins was TWO YEARS OLDER than Eubank, and the same age as Benn.

And Collins had been in plenty of wars (he wasn't a "defense-first" kind of fighter who rarely gets hit).

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        For me it's clearly Collins, who beat Benn twice and Eubank twice. But for some reason, he doesn't receive much recognition or credit.

Let's not forget, Collins was TWO YEARS OLDER than Eubank, and the same age as Benn.

And Collins had been in plenty of wars (he wasn't a "defense-first" kind of fighter who rarely gets hit).
        Collins was "Nothing Special" he managed to scrape a victory over Eubank after Eubank had fought 8 times in 14 months. All world title fights. Collins got two victories over Nigel Benn when Benn had absolutely nothing left, Benn was a shot`fighter by the time he fought Collins... Collins beat a couple of Class C fighters along with the Nigel Benn victories in world title fights. But the thought of facing his No1 contender Joe Calzaghe gave Collins diarrhea and he quickly ran off into retirement with his trousers full of brown... Eubank was the best of the 3 fighters by some way. However Nigel Benn with his devastating punchin-power was the crowd favorite..

Comment

He didn't beat them when they were at their best, in fact nowhere near really.

My vote goes to Eubank who beat Benn when Benn was at his best. He also came back and beat Michael Watson, a superb fighter, the second time around but unfortunately injured him for good.

Number two spot would be Benn for me. Beat Iran Barkely and of course one of the scariest fighters of all times in Gerald McLellan and getting punched through the ropes and came back to win - Something that probably hasn't happened in a championship fight since Jack Dempsey Vs Firpo.

Great fighter Benn was, I would love to put him ahead of Eubank but can't since he obviously lost when at his best to Eubank. Probably lost the rematch though when Eubank had lost his killer instinct.

Steve Collins would be my third choice.

Comment

Chris Eubank born August 8, 1966 (youngest of the three)

0-2 against Collins
            1-0-1 against Benn

Steve Collins born July 7, 1964

2-0 against Eubank
            2-0 against Benn

Nigel Benn born January 22, 1964

0-2 against Collins
            0-1-1 against Eubank

Comment

Chris Eubank born August 8, 1966 (youngest of the three)

0-2 against Collins
              1-0-1 against Benn

Steve Collins born July 7, 1964

2-0 against Eubank
              2-0 against Benn

Nigel Benn born January 22, 1964

0-2 against Collins
              0-1-1 against Eubank
              Those are facts.

But if you look at the tragics of Benn & Eubank's careers it will show you exactly why they were out of their prime against Collins.

They had been struggling with guys they would have had a field day with leading up to Collins, and Collins was tough as old boots. Not the best preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                Those are facts.

But if you look at the tragics of Benn & Eubank's careers it will show you exactly why they were out of their prime against Collins.

They had been struggling with guys they would have had a field day with leading up to Collins, and Collins was tough as old boots. Not the best preparation.
                Eubank struggled with sub par fighters throughout his entire career.

Infact the only time he ever didn't was in the first Benn fight.

It's hard to say I don't really rate any of then that highly. Probably lean on Nigel Benn if I had to pick.

Comment

Steve Collins won every fight he had in the British Isles.

He perhaps had just one decisive loss in his entire career, a decision loss to a very good fighter Mike McCallum in the USA.

In his other two losses, a close MD in the USA and a points loss in Italy, the home fighter (home-based in the case of Italy) may have had the benefit of home judging, especially the MD in New Jersey.

Steve was in some tough fights earlier in his career in other countries, especially the fight against McCallum, so he was probably past his best when he fought Benn and Eubank.

He was never stopped during his career.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Eubank struggled with sub par fighters throughout his entire career.

Infact the only time he ever didn't was in the first Benn fight.

It's hard to say I don't really rate any of then that highly. Probably lean on Nigel Benn if I had to pick.
                    When did he struggle with subpar opposition before the second Watson fight?

I don't recall any. But for me, the second Watson fight concluded what was Eubank's "prime". He was never the same after that.

I think it's hard to pick Benn over Eubank when they fought when both of them were at their peak and Eubank won.

Comment

Working...
                    X