Jack Johnson vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Johnson vs Joe Louis

What a dream match up this would be.

Could the greatest defensive Heavyweight Champion avoid the great combination punching of the Brown Bomber?

What are your thoughts?

Johnson by decision
    Johnson by KO

Louis by decision
    Louis by KO

Comment

Johnson by KO I reckon. He spotted Louis' weakness before anyone else.

A rematch would be a harder pick though.

Comment

Louis by late TKO in a great fight. To much stock is put in Johnson spotting a young Louis dropping his left after jabbing: A fault corrected in subsequent fights.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Louis by late TKO in a great fight. To much stock is put in Johnson spotting a young Louis dropping his left after jabbing: A fault corrected in subsequent fights.

Poet

It can't be ignored though.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
            Oh silly me! Here I was under the impression this was prime Johnson Vs. prime Louis when it's really prime Johnson Vs. the young inexperienced Louis that fought Schmeling the first time! Damn do I feel dumb!

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Oh silly me! Here I was under the impression this was prime Johnson Vs. prime Louis when it's really prime Johnson Vs. the young inexperienced Louis that fought Schmeling the first time! Damn do I feel dumb!

Poet
              It happens, I won't hold it against you. Unless you want me to?

Comment

When Louis was coming up through the ranks Johnson was always high of praise of him as a fighter. And always very impressed with him. But when he wanted to train Louis, and was rejected this frustrated him as he thought he could take Louis to the next step and he saw just how big Louis was going to be and wanted to be a part of it.

But Louis chose to stay with Johnson's rival Jackie Blackburn. Johnson did indeed give Schmeling advice on how to defeat Louis, and he cound't of been more pleased when Louis was defeated. He had bet heavily on Schmeling to win, when Johnson was seen boasting about this, a angry bunch of black fans would attack him and police were called.

Johnson to claimed always claimed Louis's stance was all wrong.

At the beggining Louis liked Johnson, but after being bad mouthed by Johnson, Louis turned and held a strong dislike for Johnson.

Johnson would do everything in his power to get Louis beat. He wanted to help train Jim Braddock for Joe Louis, do Braddock didn't hire him. He helped train 6''5 Abe Simon who Louis would KO. And he later took the vetran Jersey Joe Walcott aside to volunter his services if and when Louis give him a chance

''Johnson's background was savary remembered Walcott, ''I knew whatever fame I may win would be in his shawdow, i did not want to march arm in arm to succes with him. He turned Johnson down.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                  what about Johnsons weaknesses? or Louis' advantages for that matter. Louis has the quicker hands and hit's much harder.

Johnson might have the overall strength advantage and has great endurance, but Louis would find that chin of his sooner or later and he just wouldn't see it coming.

Comment

Johnson could tie any one up and louis would be no diffrent....though this is all johnson had coupled with slow foot work and slow punches he needed to tie up the compitition so he could actually hit them. refs of now adays wouldnt let this happen and johnson wouldn't have a chance against really any one considering he wouldnt be able to clinch up and throw people around any more.

louis wins by ko 10th round if the fight happned pre 1910 johnson might take it through ko or decision.
                    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 07-31-2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X