No announcement yet.

When did Tyson's prime end?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Tyson's prime end?

There's a bit of a debate on when Tyson was past his prime. Was it after he came back from prison? Was it after being upset by Douglas? Or was he already past it by the time he fought Douglas?

When he got married to Robbin Givens.......

Comment

after his prison stint

Comment

After the two Rudduck fights.

Comment

In a technical sense his abilities slipped fight by fight after Rooney was sacked (after Spinks in 1988). His jab, combinations and head movement never fully returned, though there were still moment's when he showed terrific skills post 1988!

But in a physical sense, he definitely still had 12 round distance stamina up to and including the second Ruddock fight (which was gruelling).

The Buster Douglas fight was an off night. He clearly wasn't up for it, was sloppy in training (dropped by Page). Had all sorts of personal issues; venereal disease too! Plus Douglas was brilliant that night and would have been a tough night for Tyson at his very best!

Post prison after the warm up fights I'm not convinced that he was any technically worse than he was for say the Ruddock fights. Frank Bruno didn't think he was any less of a force than in 1989 after being beaten for the second time! But he never got that 12 round stamina back.....

Comment

I don't know but I've heard tell
            Ol' iron Mike done went through hell

Iron Mike was apparently (ahem!) compromised in prison. His worst and perpetual fear of big brutal black men forcing themselves on him, was fulfilled quickly during his stint, and many times.

When white supremacists behind bars saw what a little bullishness had gotten the brutal blacks for their efforts, they wanted some boxer nooky, too. And they were not exactly taking no for an answer.

Last I heard, the various races behind bars had Tyson parceled out by the night of the week. The Asians had not dared look weak, so they demanded some Tyson nooky, as well, and got it on Wednesdays when the Asians passed a helpless iron Mike around for their delight. Thursday was Latino night, when Tyson could expect to be stuffed with hot peppers continually.

In there they do not believe in days off. Blacks, whites, browns, yellows, reds and blue injuns from the east fought over that extra day there was no human color for, and made some awesome swaps. They made some deals ol' Trump would have been proud of them for.

The minute Mike mauled ms Washington, his prime was over and gone, replaced by the concerns of a full growed rapist.

Comment

king did him in.

Comment

After the second Ruddock fight when he went to prison.

Comment

Originally posted by No Dice View Post
                  When he got married to Robin Givens.......
                  Hoo hoo, Robin. I was gonna say this too haha. This or the moment he hit the canvas in Round 10 against Buster Douglas.

Comment

Tyson is still in his prime

Comment

Working...
                    X