Collapse
No announcement yet.

Development of punching power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and remember, power-endurance is just as important as flat out power. if you can throw a monster punch once but cant repeat it, whats the point. your muscles ability to recover quickly and throw that punch again is super important. that is why i think it is wrong when people say on these boards "long runs arent important, just sprints", "just run for as long as you can", "just do intervals". all those types of things are just as important as the other. Each one deals with a different thing - Endurance is increased by long runs, Power is increased on sprints, and Power-Endurance is increased by doing sprints with jogging in between for recovery. the quicker you can get your body to recover the better.

Comment

Originally posted by mrrupo View Post
      and remember, power-endurance is just as important as flat out power. if you can throw a monster punch once but cant repeat it, whats the point. your muscles ability to recover quickly and throw that punch again is super important. that is why i think it is wrong when people say on these boards "long runs arent important, just sprints", "just run for as long as you can", "just do intervals". all those types of things are just as important as the other. Each one deals with a different thing - Endurance is increased by long runs, Power is increased on sprints, and Power-Endurance is increased by doing sprints with jogging in between for recovery. the quicker you can get your body to recover the better.
      Here Here! or is it hear hear?

Comment

Originally posted by hobart_barista View Post
        How lean are you? I'm 18 and 5 10', 180 lbs or 83 kg, but i've got about 8 kg of fat on me. So if your lean, then your definitely filled out, either that or you've got big legs, all 3 of them.

I think it depends on what you mean by power. Sum people say- just get on the heavy, however this won't increase your power (in the true definition of the term), this will, however, increase arm stamina, if you have more arm stamina then you will be able to maintain the power you have- get it?
        So at the end of the heavy bag set, you will still be throwing punches with the same power as the start.
        Now to increase actual power (force), I recommend powerlifting- it isn't "weightlifting," it isn't "bodybuilding"- its POWERlifting. This includes: benchpress, deadlifts, and weighted squats. So I suggest you do some research on it, benchpress is undoubtedly the top priority for you, notice how remarkedly similar closegrip benchpress is to a punch? The others will support core strength, which also help, esp. in crosses and hooks.
        I'm lean I guess, kinda ripped on the upperbody. But yeah, most of my bodyfat would be on my legs, I have pretty big legs. 3 of them huh funny. Do you really think this has to do with being filled out?

Also, you're right that you need to have consistent power. I've heard that slow shadowboxing with small weights in your hands increases handspeed, and in that your power becomes better too. I'm kinda sceptical about powerlifting. I always feel less 'loose' after lifting.

Comment

So many things go into punching power speed, technique, timing, and strength. I would say shadow box alot and work on really getting your hips into the punch and snapping i make werid sounds some times to really emphaize breathing while doing this. Also swim alot in my opionion and shadow with light weights and punch the bag with heavier gloves and move down in glove size slowly. I also like to do long shadow boxing sessions in the water which really seems to add snap and speed to my punch. Peace

Comment

Working...
          X