Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play a musical instrument? Tell us about it!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
    I started playing music seriously in 1981, here in the San Francisco Bay Area there was a thriving music scene at the time. My main instrument is guitar, and I used to play bass, keyboards, and percussion, but due to age and arthritis I only play guitar now. I used to perform in many of the Northern California venues and in the Washington DC area, Baltimore and Philly when I was living back east.

Back then I played hard rock lead guitar but also performed in salsa and jazz bands, now I just write songs and perform jazz sessions from time to time.

Did you ever see the Dead Kennedys in San Fran in the 80's? That good stuff though man, I'm pretty big into jazz myself. I don't play in any bands though. I sit in every now in then on drums for my dads country band though.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
      Did you ever see the Dead Kennedys in San Fran in the 80's? That good stuff though man, I'm pretty big into jazz myself. I don't play in any bands though. I sit in every now in then on drums for my dads country band though.
      I did, @ the Mabuhay Gardens in SF. Wasn't into the hardcore scene but saw a lot of acts during that time when the Bay Area was hitting. (Romeo Void, Blondie, Suicidal Tendencies) After that I worked for Bill Graham Presents at the Warfield and saw almost all the post punk stuff like Culture Club and China Crisis, etc. (Before anybody knew who they were.)

That was either work or fun with females, but being a musician I was more into seeing Carlos Santana (7 times) Tower of Power (5 times) Al DiMeola (3 times) Return to Forever (twice) and a ton of Jazz cats like McCoy Tyner, Stanley Clarke, Wayne Shorter.

These days I don't focus on fusion and I'm in the process of learning as many jazz standards as I can so I can be an old fart and pretend I'm Wes Montgomery.

....... with a lot of bad notes. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
        I did, @ the Mabuhay Gardens in SF. Wasn't into the hardcore scene but saw a lot of acts during that time when the Bay Area was hitting. (Romeo Void, Blondie, Suicidal Tendencies) After that I worked for Bill Graham Presents at the Warfield and saw almost all the post punk stuff like Culture Club and China Crisis, etc. (Before anybody knew who they were.)

That was either work or fun with females, but being a musician I was more into seeing Carlos Santana (7 times) Tower of Power (5 times) Al DiMeola (3 times) Return to Forever (twice) and a ton of Jazz cats like McCoy Tyner, Stanley Clarke, Wayne Shorter.

These days I don't focus on fusion and I'm in the process of learning as many jazz standards as I can so I can be an old fart and pretend I'm Wes Montgomery.

....... with a lot of bad notes. LOL.
        Man I'm jealous of all those. I'm into all that hardcore and jazz. I'm going to see TOP this April, Santana in July, and I saw Return to Forever in 2011. Haven't seen Meola yet but I got to see John Mcloughlin last US tour last year. Best of luck to you on your future jazz gigs.

Comment

I play guitar. Classical, metal, classic rock and blues.

Started as a bass player. And I play a little piano even though I suck.

I was in drumline in high school as well. Played marimba, bass drum, crash cymbals, etc. That's also where I learned how to play the guiro, no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
            Man I'm jealous of all those.
            That's nothing.... ... I saw Zeppelin in the 70's.
            (Juvenile delinquent sneaking in)

Comment

Awesome, love reading all of these statements

Comment

The only thing I can play with proficiency is the female organ. I'm very musical minded but never took the time to sit down and play a guitar or learn the drums(which was my true calling as far as learning an instrument) or anything but I downloaded FL studio off of Kazaa back in like 2003 and after years of dabbling around I know my way around that DAW pretty well. I selected other because DAWs are an instrument too.

I have a midi controller with 49 keys and drum pads and knobs and faders and shit that I got a year ago but never play it enough to get good at it. I'm more of a composer in a sense so even with my limited abilities I've used guitar, keys, drum ideas, ect. to write music. I have a lot of music currently. Some of it I feel very happy with honestly. I'm not sure when my abilities are on par with my standards and expectations but I'm getting there. I'm focusing on learning how to make a good mix and it's harder than I thought. Equalizing, Reeverb, and especially Compression. I'm very picky and my projects are never done.

I have stuff I can share but I don't want to make a soundcloud. I may upload some on Vocaroo or something.

Comment

Working...
                X