No announcement yet.

The best "15 minutes of fame": Douglas, Rahman or Ruiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    That's exactly why he's top of the list. You said "HERO" to zero.

Remember, Spinks was at the top of the game when he got blown out by Tyson, then tucked tail and quit the business, went into hiding for over a decade.

This doesn't take away what he accomplished. One of my favorite fighters. But you asked, who went to ZERO after being a HERO?

Douglas would go on to fight and win some.

Rahman went on to fight and win some.

McCall - I still say that was mob related and not really him on that one, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that he would go on to fight and win some.

So by my definition those are not "zeroes". I can't even Naseem Hamed a "zero" by that definition because he won one more fight after losing.

Michael Spinks was at the top, lost, disappeared. That's a hero to zero if I ever saw one.
    come on man..we all know you meant Leon Spinks

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
      come on man..we all know you meant Leon Spinks
      Leon Spinks. A nice guy that got what REALLY counts as a gift against Ali and that's all the dude did. Larry Holmes destroyed him in spectacular fashion.

But no, even he isn't as bad as the other three here or Michael Spinks. People don't appreciate how much domination that guy was doing before he stupidly took the Tyson fight.

Comment

Easily Buster Douglas. He made twice what Ruiz did beating Joshua (24 million plus for the Holyfield fight before getting starched.

He wasn't nearly as fat as Ruiz in his next fight but he did eventually blow up to 400 lbs.

Legendary.

Comment

Michael Spinks had more than 15 minutes of fame and he was probably one of the best light heavyweights ever but the Tyson fight erased all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
            Michael Spinks had more than 15 minutes of fame and he was probably one of the best light heavyweights ever but the Tyson fight erased all of that.
            Exactly. He is top of the list for that very reason. Seconds between legend and left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
              Think it was pretty well known that he got a flat $7m for the first fight and $10m for the second.
              Load of rubbish, he doesn't go to Saudi for a second fight and get short changed like that. Total bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by M Bison View Post
                Load of rubbish, he doesn't go to Saudi for a second fight and get short changed like that. Total bollocks.
                He got $7m plus another $10m or thereabouts if he won.

Not shortchanged. A bloody good contract for a guy earning far less than that.

Comment

Well I really think Ruiz deserves to get this one, Rahman landed a good punch which deserves respect...with Tyson/Douglas..well we know the ref fkd up the count and with Ruiz..I mean come on...he made joshua quit...it's different if he knocked him out, we could say Joshy had bad luck or w.e...but he really made him quit...took his pride..and what does Joshy do? He decides to train his ass off to run a marathon, wow what a revenge

Comment

Working...
                  X