Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 21st Century's Best Light Welters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean you put Ricardo Torres up there......all he ever did was get one good win over Holt, than got stopped in 1 round in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      That's BS and you know, plus almost all those names have gone on to win title belts at later stages in their careers.
      Where were they when he fought them, not doing anything of note. Sure he beat some guys who were unbeaten. Yeah at 140 he beat unbeaten guys who hadn't done anything themselves. He beat 1 guy in the Top 10 at 140.....DeMarcus Corley, who everyone s**ts on as a Mayweather win, even though when Mayweather fought him he was coming off a razor sharp close fight with Judah.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        1. Tszyu (Mitchell, Urkal, Judah, had other wins at 140 prior to the 21st century too)
        2. Hatton (Maussa, Urango, Tszyu, Lazcano, Paulie)
        3. Bradley (Witter, Peterson, Alexander, Holt)
        4. Pacquiao (Hatton was undefeated at 140)
        5. Khan (Paulie, Maidana, Judah, arguably Peterson too)
        6. Matthysse (close fight with Judah, deserved win over Alexander, adds Peterson too)
        7. Judah (close fight with Matthysse, beat Witter and Corley)
        8. Garcia (Holt, Khan, Morales, Judah)
        9. Mayweather (Corley and Gatti)
        10. Alexander (Witter and Urango).
        that's a better list than I thought you;d make lol, how Pac gets in the top 5 and how May is even in top 10 is beyond me, and Garcia and Matthysse ranked above Cotto? No sir. Other than that the lists solid.

The fact that we are discussing this show that 140 has been (in recent times) a far more competitive and well rounded division than LW, WW and JMW, the traditional top notch divisions of the mid-lower weight classes.

Comment

No love for Chop Chop or KO King?

Comment

that's a better list than I thought you;d make lol, how Pac gets in the top 5 and how May is even in top 10 is beyond me, and Garcia and Matthysse ranked above Cotto? No sir. Other than that the lists solid.

The fact that we are discussing this show that 140 has been (in recent times) a far more competitive and well rounded division than LW, WW and JMW, the traditional top notch divisions of the mid-lower weight classes.
            Pacquiao's win over Hatton alone s**ts on most of those guys wins. Hatton had never been beaten at 140, was THE MAN at 140 in May 2009.

Mayweather picked up two decent wins at 140 over Corley and Gatti, who were both Top 10 at the time. That's one more than Cotto. Cotto beat a bunch of guys who were doing next to nothing when he fought them at 140 and weren't ranked at 140.

Meanwhile Garcia has beaten Khan, who was one of the Top 3 JWW's at the time, Morales who was old but coming off an alright win over Cano and gave Maidana hell, Judah who has always been a Top 10 JWW/WW, and he beat Holt, though Holt was older and not Top 10.

And Lucas arguably beat Judah, deserved a clear win over Alexander, and killed Peterson.

I'll take what those guys have done or did over Cotto beating unproven guys at the time like Paulie, Pinto, Torres, Bailey, etc. Cotto only beat 1 Top 10 JWW at the time.

Comment

I mean you put Ricardo Torres up there......all he ever did was get one good win over Holt, than got stopped in 1 round in the rematch.
              but he had a tonne of solid competition at the weight, which can't be said for Pca or PBF. It's like saying RJJ should be a top 10 hw of the last decade for a solitary win over Ruiz who was a top 5 heavy at the time. No...actually it's a better argument than having Floyd or Pac in the top 10 lol

Comment

Pacquiao's win over Hatton alone s**ts on most of those guys wins. Hatton had never been beaten at 140, was THE MAN at 140 in May 2009.

Mayweather picked up two decent wins at 140 over Corley and Gatti, who were both Top 10 at the time. That's one more than Cotto. Cotto beat a bunch of guys who were doing next to nothing when he fought them at 140 and weren't ranked at 140.

Meanwhile Garcia has beaten Khan, who was one of the Top 3 JWW's at the time, Morales who was old but coming off an alright win over Cano and gave Maidana hell, Judah who has always been a Top 10 JWW/WW, and he beat Holt, though Holt was older and not Top 10.

And Lucas arguably beat Judah, deserved a clear win over Alexander, and killed Peterson.

I'll take what those guys have done or did over Cotto beating unproven guys at the time like Paulie, Pinto, Torres, Bailey, etc. Cotto only beat 1 Top 10 JWW at the time.
                The ranking are a load of BS at most times. I don't know what they were in the mid-00s but at least 3 of Cotto's opponents would have beaten that version of Gatti, if Gatti was ranked in a top 10 in any division in the new millennium it's a joke.

Is this world of multiple titles and paid off rankings, as fans you have to use your noggin a bit and know who the better fighters are.

Comment

but he had a tonne of solid competition at the weight, which can't be said for Pca or PBF. It's like saying RJJ should be a top 10 hw of the last decade for a solitary win over Ruiz who was a top 5 heavy at the time. No...actually it's a better argument than having Floyd or Pac in the top 10 lol
                  Ricardo Torres did absolutely nothing aside from losing to Cotto, getting a win over Holt, than losing in 1 round to Holt in the rematch. Nothing. Yet he deserves to be higher than Garcia who's beaten Khan (Top 3 JWW at the time), Morales (old and past prime but Top 10, gave Maidana hell and beat Cano), Judah (Top 10), and Holt??? Or higher than Lucas????

Pacquiao beat Ricky Hatton at 140, who was undefeated at the weight and the champion at 140 for 4 years going into that fight. Mayweather's stint though short and irrelevant is his career, still packed two wins over Top 10 JWW's in Corley and Gatti.

Comment

Ricardo Torres did absolutely nothing aside from losing to Cotto, getting a win over Holt, than losing in 1 round to Holt in the rematch. Nothing. Yet he deserves to be higher than Garcia who's beaten Khan (Top 3 JWW at the time), Morales (old and past prime but Top 10, gave Maidana hell and beat Cano), Judah (Top 10), and Holt??? Or higher than Lucas????

Pacquiao beat Ricky Hatton at 140, who was undefeated at the weight and the champion at 140 for 4 years going into that fight. Mayweather's stint though short and irrelevant is his career, still packed two wins over Top 10 JWW's in Corley and Gatti.
                    You're quite set in your ways so the whole debate is a bit useless but I'll indulge you, there can be a case for Torres being lower on the list but he is, as of this moment, Lucas can't be on a top 10 list, he has stepped up 3 times in his career, lost twice, whether they are disputed losses is a different story. Other than that he has spent his career beating bums.

Comment

140 has been one of those divisions where all I can remember is being discontent with the matches, glad we got Garcia-Matthysse.

Comment

Working...
                      X