Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is training my 6 year old as a southpaw a good idea?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is training my 6 year old as a southpaw a good idea?

I have 3 boys ages; 9, 7, & 6 (all right handed) the 2 oldest have been boxing for a a while now as orthodox fighters and have devoloped muscle memory already "but" my youngest is going to start training in 2 weeks. This idea has popped into my head and Im not to sure if its a good one or not. My thoughts is itll be great for my 2 oldest to have a southpaw sparring partner and personally Im a big fan of a heavy jab. What are the pro/cons? Your thoughts?

Why would you think this is a bad idea?

Comment

In my estimation, southpaw fighters never develope, skills-wise, to the fullest extent. You play games with angles that get in the way; it is hard to learn to fight inside, for example. Southpaws, especially today, tend to be one hand heavy.
      Your kids are very young, all three of them. I have a lot of experience teaching young kids. Teach them all to be orthodox. They'll learn; around 11-12 they'll get awkward and seem unable to do what they did easily before, then at 13 they'll be better than ever. In just a few weeks, at that point, teaching them to fight leftie will be easy. And it'll keep them from getting bored. Once they learn one way, the other is easy.

Comment

You don't need to train southpaw to have a heavy jab. If your righty I mean

Comment

It's very common to have your strong hand as a lead.

Not sure it should be done at 6y of age though. It should be more about having fun at that age. If he doesn't love it he will never keep up with it.

Comment

Working...
          X