Question about an Exhibition (Smoker)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about an Exhibition (Smoker)

Hi Everyone!

I was supposed to fight in my first exhibition (smoker) recently.

I didn't get paired up so I wasn't able to fight.

HOWEVER, I thought it was pretty shady how they matched people up... they called all the fighters to one room and paired us off by EYE and not be weight... I ALMOST got paired up with a girl who looked 20 + pounds heavier than I was.

WTH? Lol. Some of these people were newbie fighters... while some had fights in their books...

Honestly sounds illegal... Have you guys ever experienced this? Thoughts?

Originally posted by DespicableMi View Post
    Hi Everyone!

HOWEVER, I thought it was pretty shady how they matched people up... they called all the fighters to one room and paired us off by EYE and not be weight... I ALMOST got paired up with a girl who looked 20 + pounds heavier than I was.

WTH? Lol. Some of these people were newbie fighters... while some had fights in their books...

Got to remember to make these threads in training and nutrition

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
      Got to remember to make these threads in training and nutrition
      Got it. I'm going to repost in the correct thread. Thanks!

Comment

Got it. I'm going to repost in the correct thread. Thanks!
        Yep thats what smokers are. And nope they arent "legal" not sure why that matters though lol

Comment

Hi Everyone!

You'd better inform this gym that's putting this on that if somebody gets hurt he will be held liable and kicked out of USA Boxing. That's not even mentioning the monetary amount that he will eventually owe. I highly recommend that your club uses 16oz gloves for this exhibition. Use fight gloves (10-12oz) and you're throwing a fight, use sparring gloves and you are only 'sparring'. Get the idea.......

Comment

I ALMOST got paired up with a girl who looked 20 + pounds heavier than I was.
            You're a male?

Smokers with men vs women is probably worth telling the police about.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              You're a male?

Smokers with men vs women is probably worth telling the police about.
              No, I am a female... however a female indeed DID get paired up with a guy. She whooped his butt tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                You'd better inform this gym that's putting this on that if somebody gets hurt he will be held liable and kicked out of USA Boxing. That's not even mentioning the monetary amount that he will eventually owe. I highly recommend that your club uses 16oz gloves for this exhibition. Use fight gloves (10-12oz) and you're throwing a fight, use sparring gloves and you are only 'sparring'. Get the idea.......
                Gotcha! Yes true... people were using 14-16 oz. I don't know... I'm still a novice at the boxing scene and learning about what's "okay" and "not okay"... I guess throwing exhibitions and matching people up by eye and NOT weight is considered "normal" around here...

Honestly freaks me out a little bit. I don't feel comfortable with how they are running amateur boxing around here.

Comment

Gotcha! Yes true... people were using 14-16 oz. I don't know... I'm still a novice at the boxing scene and learning about what's "okay" and "not okay"... I guess throwing exhibitions and matching people up by eye and NOT weight is considered "normal" around here...

Honestly freaks me out a little bit. I don't feel comfortable with how they are running amateur boxing around here.
                  If you are worried that they will match you against somebody bigger than you, you shouldn't be. Just be smart about what you do. Against bigger guys speed is your power. The power to get in, land a few quick shots and then gtf outta there. Use your speed. Know what I mean?.......Rockin'
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I was fighting at 147lbs, I got matched up with the former light heavy champion of the world. I used speed and strategy against him. He didn't land nothin'. Except for when he bored in to me with his shoulder knocking me through the ropes and on to the apron.

Get in there and just do your thing, use your eyes and be smart. You probably haven't even learned to use your eyes yet so just get in there and do your thing while being smart about what you are doing. Meaning, don't worry about landing smashing shots. Just touch him quick and get the f outta there. Then repeat. Never just stand in front of these big guys admiring the shot you might have just landed. Know what I mean?.......Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X