No announcement yet.

How To Throw The Perfect Cross With Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Throw The Perfect Cross With Power

Here's what you need to do if you want to throw the perfect right cross. The cross is essentially your most powerful punch. This is because of all the leverage, motion, & power you can generate from your hips and lower body when throwing it. It also has the most reach as well. So here are some tips for throwing the perfect right cross.

First thing, we do not want to flare out our elbows when throwing this punch. You are going to lose a lot of power if you do this. Also your opponent will see that it's coming anyway. Do not do this. We want our cross to be straight in and straight out in a straight line.

Now, you want to maximize the rotation of your shoulders by pulling your left shoulder back as your right shoulder drives forward when throwing the cross. Obviously at the same time I want to emphasize rotating your hips as well into the punch. Now this is where you're going to get a lot of your power from which is obviously your lower body. If you're rotating your shoulders correctly this is going to be easy for you, but I just emphasize the hips part because I believe it's hella important.

To add onto this you need to make sure the hand you're throwing a cross with is fully extended. I say this because once your punch is extended all the way your shoulder will actually be protecting your chin.

Now, we need to go over it how to not Telegraph the cross. I see when people are sparring in videos that they tend to pull back to generate more power and while this may actually seem good as first, it's actually not. This is because your opponent can see that punch coming from 10 miles away! You are better off throwing the punch form where your hand is to the target and then bring it back immediately.

So don't pull your hand back before throwing. You want to use the speed of the motion, your hips, and your lower body to drive the power in the punch. Please don't pull our hand back.

I was going to be going over some weight transfer issues, but I'm pretty sure you guys have that already figured out if your off-balance you're going to fall over yourself so just make sure you balanced when throwing this punch.

I know this is a long post but bear with a guys. So when throwing is punch you need to also make sure you turn your back heel all the way with the punch.

And one final thing, when throwing this punch make sure to pull your front shoulder back. Some people believe that in boxing you're just pushing your punch forward but you actually have to pull your front shoulder back as well. Pulling your back shoulder back will drive your back shoulder and punch forward with even more power.

I know this was a long post but I hope you guys take these tips to improve your boxing.

P:S What are some tips you would add in when throwing the cross? I would love to know what you guys think!

From what little I know, my top tip for throwing a good cross is to set it up nicely... It takes crazy athleticism and great timing to land a back-hand lead. So I'd suggest always practising throwing the cross with something in front of it: a slip, a flicky jab, a side-step, a feint... just something

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
      From what little I know, my top tip for throwing a good cross is to set it up nicely... It takes crazy athleticism and great timing to land a back-hand lead. So I'd suggest always practising throwing the cross with something in front of it: a slip, a flicky jab, a side-step, a feint... just something
      I definitely agree with that man. Setting it up is key.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
        Ryan Garcia type of speed in some cases.

Comment

Don't get caught.

Easier said than done.

The power is in the speed. Keep your guard up at all time.
          Pivot the rear foot and push off, come forward with the hips
          (core foundation). Follow with the chest, coming squared deliver
          the cross, turning over the fist. The power is in the last three
          inches and punch right through the target. If done correctly you'll
          here A loud POW! through out the gym. Followed by A bunch of
          WOW! OOWW! Step back give him A minute to recover.

The human body is unbelievably powerful.

Comment

How To Throw The Perfect Cross With Power

I think he would like to know if there is the possibility to see average "segment" power during a free training...
            For example, if i do a 15 warm up and then 20 at 250w; how i could seee the average power sustained during 20 interval?

Comment

Knowledge is power!

One of the best headaches I ever gave myself.

Step 1
              Weigh the boxer or fighter on a bathroom scale. For example, the boxer weighs 147.7 pounds.

Step 2
              Multiply the boxer or fighter's weight by 0.0345 using a calculator, to determine the mass of the boxer's arm. For example, 0.0345 x 147 = 5.0715. The estimated mass of this boxer's arm is 5.1 kilograms.

Step 3
              Station the boxer in front of a punching bag. Place two assistants to the right and left of the boxer. The assistants should be facing each other with a line of vision perpendicular to the direction in which the boxer will punch. Equip one assistant with a digital stopwatch and the other with a velocimeter.

Step 4
              Instruct the assistant holding the velocimeter to hold the device immediately to the left of the surface of the punching bag, opposite the boxer. Instruct the assistant holding the stopwatch to time the boxer's punch, starting the stopwatch when the boxer begins his punching movement and stopping the stopwatch when the boxer's fist strikes the punching bag.

Step 5
              Instruct the boxer to punch the bag, allowing the two assistants to take their measurements. For example, the assistant holding the stopwatch measures a punch time of 0.1 seconds; the assistant holding the velocimeter measures a velocity of 19.0 mph.

Step 6
              Multiply the punch velocity by 1.61 to convert the velocity to kilometers per hour, using a calculator. For example, 19 x 1.61 = 30.59. Multiply your answer by 0.277 to convert the punch velocity to meters per second. For example, 30.59 x 0.2778 = 8.49. The boxer's punch velocity was approximately 8.49 meters per second (m/s).

Step 7
              Divide your answer by the measured time of the punch. For example, the measured time of the punch was 0.1 seconds: 8.49 divided by 0.1 = 84.9. The acceleration of the boxer's fist and arm was approximately 84.9 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Step 8
              Multiply your answer by the calculated mass of the boxer's arm in kilograms. For example, 84.9 x 5.1 = 432.99. The force of this boxer's punch when it reaches the punching bag is approximately 433 kilogram meters per second squared, or 433 Newtons (N).

Comment

Originally posted by 5'9"-132lbs. View Post
                One of the best headaches I ever gave myself.

Step 1
                Weigh the boxer or fighter on a bathroom scale. For example, the boxer weighs 147.7 pounds.

Step 2
                Multiply the boxer or fighter's weight by 0.0345 using a calculator, to determine the mass of the boxer's arm. For example, 0.0345 x 147 = 5.0715. The estimated mass of this boxer's arm is 5.1 kilograms.

Step 3
                Station the boxer in front of a punching bag. Place two assistants to the right and left of the boxer. The assistants should be facing each other with a line of vision perpendicular to the direction in which the boxer will punch. Equip one assistant with a digital stopwatch and the other with a velocimeter.

Step 4
                Instruct the assistant holding the velocimeter to hold the device immediately to the left of the surface of the punching bag, opposite the boxer. Instruct the assistant holding the stopwatch to time the boxer's punch, starting the stopwatch when the boxer begins his punching movement and stopping the stopwatch when the boxer's fist strikes the punching bag.

Step 5
                Instruct the boxer to punch the bag, allowing the two assistants to take their measurements. For example, the assistant holding the stopwatch measures a punch time of 0.1 seconds; the assistant holding the velocimeter measures a velocity of 19.0 mph.

Step 6
                Multiply the punch velocity by 1.61 to convert the velocity to kilometers per hour, using a calculator. For example, 19 x 1.61 = 30.59. Multiply your answer by 0.277 to convert the punch velocity to meters per second. For example, 30.59 x 0.2778 = 8.49. The boxer's punch velocity was approximately 8.49 meters per second (m/s).

Step 7
                Divide your answer by the measured time of the punch. For example, the measured time of the punch was 0.1 seconds: 8.49 divided by 0.1 = 84.9. The acceleration of the boxer's fist and arm was approximately 84.9 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Step 8
                Multiply your answer by the calculated mass of the boxer's arm in kilograms. For example, 84.9 x 5.1 = 432.99. The force of this boxer's punch when it reaches the punching bag is approximately 433 kilogram meters per second squared, or 433 Newtons (N).
                Some good info here.

Comment

Useful information, I will use it.

Comment

Awesome tips, very informational. Thanks for sharing them. Shoulder rotation was a big problem for me. Now i'm working on improving it.

Comment

Working...
                    X