Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was bigger achievement pac beating cotto or jones beating ruiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was bigger achievement pac beating cotto or jones beating ruiz?

Roy Jones won his first major title as a middleweight and eventually won the WBA heavyweight title against Ruiz who was 226 pound while he weighed 193 a 33 pound difference. In addition, Ruiz was 66 pounds heavier than his first title of 160. It was only the only time in recent era where a middleweight became a heavyweight champ.

Pac won a title in a 7th weightclass by beating Cotto at 145, pac first title was at 112. I believe he is the only flyweight to win a welterweight title.
    Pac was greater since cotto is better than Ruiz
    55.56%
    Jones was greater since the greater weight difference
    35.56%
    It will go down about equal in boxing history
    8.89%

The poll is expired.

both fights had questions to me so I put it about even

Comment

i think both deserved credit for achieving titles way ahead of their divisions

but for me Pac beating Cotto has more edge considering Cotto is an elite top 3 WW

Comment

I go with Pac cuz he did something nobody has ever done. And, I don't see no fighter right who could have a chance of doing it.

Fighters have done what Roy did. And, I could see B-Hop winning a title at HW.

Maybe in 5yrs P-Will could do it...

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          I go with Pac cuz he did something nobody has ever done. And, I don't see no fighter right who could have a chance of doing it.

Fighters have done what Roy did. And, I could see B-Hop winning a title at HW.

Maybe in 5yrs P-Will could do it...

agree with you

but Roy having overcome odds also merits distinction

33 lbs disadvantage? Roy is unbelievable

Comment

Pac gets more credit.

Not too many people gave Ruiz a chance in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
              agree with you

yea but again people have gone from MW to HW before Roy and after Roy. Roy was not the first or the only. Chris Byrd fought in a 33lbs disadvantage in some of his fights. I am not trying to take nothing away from Roy but its been done.

Pac 7 titles in 7 divisions has never been done. And, I don't see anybody who could possibly do it right now. Pac winning a title at Flyweight and WW has never been done and I don't think it will ever be done ever again. So IMO Pac wins this clearly. Again not trying to take anything away from Roy but I don't think you can compare the 2 achievements.

Comment

agree with you

but come on, it was JOHN RUIZ. lol Wasn't like he fought a hard puncher like David Tua or something. Even beating Holyfield would have made him look good.
                I mean I know James Toney was ON something, but he beat Ruiz and knocked him down.

To me, that Heavyweight Win is overrated because it tries to make it seem that Ruiz is ACTUALLy a GREAT Heavyweight when we all Know Damn well he isn't. He is probably one of the worst heavyweight champs of the past 10 years and probably all time.

Comment

agree with you

What was Hayes weight Disadvantage against Valuev? like 100 Pounds. SO Haye IS REALLY UNBELIEVABLE RITE?

Comment

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
                    but come on, it was JOHN RUIZ. lol Wasn't like he fought a hard puncher like David Tua or something. Even beating Holyfield would have made him look good.
                    I mean I know James Toney was ON something, but he beat Ruiz and knocked him down.

To me, that Heavyweight Win is overrated because it tries to make it seem that Ruiz is ACTUALLy a GREAT Heavyweight when we all Know Damn well he isn't. He is probably one of the worst heavyweight champs of the past 10 years and probably all time.
                    I have to disagree I think Ruiz is one of the top 10 arguably top 5 best HW of this decade. But, that shows how garbage this HW era is.

Comment

Working...
                    X