Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is boxing called boxing? I need to know!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    Some Historians believe the term "boxing" came from the Greeks (some of the earliest practitioners of the sport) and their comparison of the clenched fist with a box (pyxis). Others attribute the orgin to a priest in Siena, Italy, who was later canonized as St. Bernardine. Early in the thirteenth century, Bernardine is alleged to have taught his male parishoners to fight with their fists rather than deadly weapons, emphasizing special techniques to "box up" (block) on opponent's punches with the hands and arms.
    Thank you sir. A much different definition from the path we were on.

Comment

So basically there isn't any sort of reference to where the word 'Boxing' came from as such then?

I assume the English word came from somewhere, and some have stated other languages.

It would be nice to know when it was used and why.

I had a theory of the ring being square, but I wasn't sure. Of course it depends when the word was first used and if it correlated with the introduction of a square ring.

Comment

I can sort of see the Greek thing or the Italian one, but I would imagine that they didn't use the word box or boxing. This is what is bugging mr, where did it come from because I doubt that the modern word came from such a log time a go, or am I wrong?

Comment

The word "box" has been used since the 1400s and 1500s to mean a slap or stroke with the fist.

Comment

Boxing is called boxing because of the arm position

Originally posted by iPhoneKiller View Post
            So, my girlfriend asked my why is a square called a ring, which I said they use to fight in circles in the past.

However I could not answer why it is called boxing. I even googled it, and there isn't much to say where it came from.

It is known as pugilism (sp) which I don't understand really.

Any ideas? I am on my phone so a bit lazy to do more googling!
            When you're arms are in the on-guard position, notice hand to elbow is vertical? Well, they envisioned you're arms as 2 legs of a box- picture a line drawn from hand to hand and from elbow to elbow and you have a BOX. You keep you're opponent within that box.

Comment

I know that according to the greeks the first boxing match was invented by Thesius (the guy who killed the minotaur) he had two guys sit down side by side and take turns hitting eachother until one of them fell off their 'box perhaps?' But I think since the sport died out until pretty modern times i'd say the word is probably more like something to do with something more modern, like maye some champ was called 'boxcar' joe or what ever and gave the sport his name? .... a bit like the way the irish word of soccer is 'Pele' lol

Comment

As a kid, I remember watching some old B&W movie, show or cartoon, where the term "I'll 'box' your ears" was used. (Don't ask me how I remember that. I guess it just seemed odd to me and it stuck in my subconscious mind.) Even then, I inferred they meant "hit," "slap," or something to that effect. Now I come across this thread and that term comes back to me after all these years.

I just did some quick research and found this entry in the Online Etymology Dictionary:

box (n.2.) "a blow," c.1300, of uncertain origin, possibly related to M.Du. boke, M.H.G. buc and Dan. bask, all meaning "a blow," perhaps imitative. The verb meaning "to fight with the fists" is from 1560s. Boxing as a sport is first recorded 1711.

According to the above source, the verb "boxing" predates the actual sport by about a century-and-a-half. Our beloved sport, gentlemen (and ladies), simply and appropriately means "to fight with the fists." Mystery solved.

Comment

This thread is really cool. I am learning a lot of new stuff. Gonna start spreading some green here.

While we are at it, can anyone explain to me the expression "boxing clever". thank you!

Comment

Green K for everyone who asked an answered.

except "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sugarj again."

and

I had to stop at House of Stone cos "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

Will be back 2morrow

thank you all guys

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                      Green K for everyone who asked an answered.

I had to stop at House of Stone
                      ain't that always the way lol

Comment

Working...
                      X