No announcement yet.

First Fight Tomorrow - Advice/Thanks!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fight Tomorrow - Advice/Thanks!

I've been a member of this site for years, and been a boxing fan for even more - first fight I purposely watched was Froch-Pascal, not a bad way to start - but I only set foot in a gym 6 months ago. I was 16 stone 10 (234 lbs), and possessed of pretty ****ty physical and mental health, addicted, if not to food and drink, then to the actual acts of eating and drinking.

I'm fighting tomorrow night, and my weight today is 13 stone 2.5 (184.5lbs), and the boost in my mental and physical health is enormous - I'm knocking the **** out of my PhD - won an award at my first conference - and life in general is better. NSB's played a big role in my relationship with boxing, so I'd like to extend a big, big thanks to all of you - you functional, dysfunctional, reasoned, ranting, all-around crazy bastards who love this sport as much as I do.

I also wanted some last-minute advice. This isn't an ordinary fight, it's a Chessboxing fight. A round of chess, then a round of boxing, then back to the position - 5 chess rounds, 4 boxing rounds scheduled. I know, I know, nutty as ****, but I've been a chess player all my life and obsessed with boxing for half that time. I've got the chess down - it's boxing advice I need.

Amazingly, I have the advantage over my opponent in boxing - he's only been doing it for half the amount of time I have! I'm 5ft 11, 184lbs, he's about 2 inches shorter and 210lbs, but I'm pretty sure we're the same natural size; he's not had as much time to burn his body fat as I have. We sparred three weeks ago, and I had my way with him - I'm prepared for him to be better on the night, but I've improved as well.

Because it's the first fight for both of us, this is an exhibition; as such, it'll be frowned upon if I'm obviously trying to KO him - although if I'm losing in the chess, all bets are off, I'm going for it. So, colleagues of NSB, what advice can you give me that'll help me win tomorrow? Anything at all - in the ring or out of it, specific or general - all is appreciated. I'll be able to describe myself and my opponent in greater detail if needed.

Oh, and the fight's being streamed - should be from around 7pm GMT on https://www.twitch.tv/londonchessboxing

Thanks again NSB, it's been awesome!

̶g̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶b̶r̶e̶a̶d̶m̶a̶n̶

Roger

good luck, dont get knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
      I've been a member of this site for years, and been a boxing fan for even more - first fight I purposely watched was Froch-Pascal, not a bad way to start - but I only set foot in a gym 6 months ago. I was 16 stone 10 (234 lbs), and possessed of pretty ****ty physical and mental health, addicted, if not to food and drink, then to the actual acts of eating and drinking.

I'm fighting tomorrow night, and my weight today is 13 stone 2.5 (184.5lbs), and the boost in my mental and physical health is enormous - I'm knocking the **** out of my PhD - won an award at my first conference - and life in general is better. NSB's played a big role in my relationship with boxing, so I'd like to extend a big, big thanks to all of you - you functional, dysfunctional, reasoned, ranting, all-around crazy bastards who love this sport as much as I do.

I also wanted some last-minute advice. This isn't an ordinary fight, it's a Chessboxing fight. A round of chess, then a round of boxing, then back to the position - 5 chess rounds, 4 boxing rounds scheduled. I know, I know, nutty as ****, but I've been a chess player all my life and obsessed with boxing for half that time. I've got the chess down - it's boxing advice I need.

Amazingly, I have the advantage over my opponent in boxing - he's only been doing it for half the amount of time I have! I'm 5ft 11, 184lbs, he's about 2 inches shorter and 210lbs, but I'm pretty sure we're the same natural size; he's not had as much time to burn his body fat as I have. We sparred three weeks ago, and I had my way with him - I'm prepared for him to be better on the night, but I've improved as well.

Because it's the first fight for both of us, this is an exhibition; as such, it'll be frowned upon if I'm obviously trying to KO him - although if I'm losing in the chess, all bets are off, I'm going for it. So, colleagues of NSB, what advice can you give me that'll help me win tomorrow? Anything at all - in the ring or out of it, specific or general - all is appreciated. I'll be able to describe myself and my opponent in greater detail if needed.

Oh, and the fight's being streamed - should be from around 7pm GMT on https://www.twitch.tv/londonchessboxing

Thanks again NSB, it's been awesome!

̶g̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶b̶r̶e̶a̶d̶m̶a̶n̶

Roger

Try to focus on the things youve learned and listen to your coaches

Go to sleep, posting on here is not going to help, you crazy chess playing bas tard

Comment

Sounds like you got this covered, good luck!

Comment

In the ring, let him tire himself out...
          If his conditioning is an issue, then his power will diminish as the fight goes on...

On the Chess Board, Queen's Gambit Declined or the Sicilian Defense with a Fianchettod Bishop if you can get it...

A Caro-Kann if your opponent is overly aggressive...

Good Luck 👍

Comment

Throw hard punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
              Throw hard punches.
              And also try not to take hard punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                And also try not to take hard punches.

C'mon dude lets not turn this guy into a safety first fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
                  C'mon dude lets not turn this guy into a safety first fighter.
                  True.

Take a lot of hard punches straight to the face like Jarrett Hurd.

Comment

Don't forget the hooks and uppercuts OP. Throw the whole arsenal at him.

Comment

Working...
                    X