No announcement yet.

How much time do you spend on your abs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Ideally, what do you think is the proper amount of time that should be spent on abs? Im not looking to get a six pack, just a stronger core and a lil bit of a smaller waist.

I really hate working abs, I honestly only spend about 5 minutes on abs at the end of my workout (cardio & weights) because I find it non-gratifying in a sense. Whats your routine?
    I guess it would depend on the intensity of your workout. I don't really know what you're doing now for those 5 minutes, but I would recommend hanging leg raises with a slow and controlled motion.

The way I do them is:

-Hang up from a bar with a chin up grip

-I bend my elbows a little and tighten my core

- Raise legs straight forward ( knees always bend a little I don't worry about it) until your shins touch the bar.

- Lower legs to starting position slowly

This is a killer workout for me. I actually had to start with 3 sets 5-6 reps. After implementing this exercise to my routing I no longer felt the need to do endless repetitions of crunches to get a burn or be bouncing off from different ab machines to get slightly different muscle stimulation.

I still do a lot of planks and other floor exercises to accompany the workout, but t=not much more.

Comment

Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
      I was a heavyweight and used to get hassled about my abs, so I went in on them and worked them hard until i got a 6 pack.
      I noticed that shots to the body were hurting me MORE, so I backed off the abs and trained with some fat on my gut, and sure enough the body shots didnt hurt me so much.
      So I'm not big on training abs.

I found that training legs turns out to be a big difference maker for me when I got weary, so I was big on training legs. If you want to be a 10 round fighter, leg training is more important than ab training if you ask me.
      The difference after training legs shocked me.
      Did you ever have someone throw a medicine ball against your abs?

Comment

Working...
      X