No announcement yet.

Is Boxing an Old Man's Game Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Not so much, you won't see the truly elite footballers on the planet being 35+, in fact, some of the greatest footballers of our generation were named such even before they hit their late 20s.
    I don't follow football, but that might be a much more unique sport. The injury rate has to be off the charts. From sports that I do follow, the old 'past 30 and you're done' mindset is finished.

and in general about the comments here, how about you guys stop disrespecting the sport you follow. The boxrec stats point to more fights today (more overall participation, ino older fighters were tough as nails and fought more) than in the last 30-40 years. The only time it was much bigger was in the 1920's and that was almost exclusively in the US, guys are not going to be fighting week to week anymore.

Drugs is the only answer.
    Last edited by RSBonos; 12-23-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
      I don't follow football, but that might be a much more unique sport. The injury rate has to be off the charts. From sports that I do follow, the old 'past 30 and you're done' mindset is finished.

and in general about the comments here, how about you guys stop disrespecting the sport you follow. The boxrec stats point to more fights today (more overall participation, ino older fighters were tough as nails and fought more) than in the last 30-40 years. The only time it was much bigger was in the 1920's and that was almost exclusively in the US, guys are not going to be fighting week to week anymore.

Drugs is the only answer.
      what sports do you follow?

I follow football, cricket, rugby, boxing and sometimes tennis, the best guys are still those in their mid to late 20s. Of course we have anomalies like Federer but it's still rare.

Comment

what sports do you follow?

I follow football, cricket, rugby, boxing and sometimes tennis, the best guys are still those in their mid to late 20s. Of course we have anomalies like Federer but it's still rare.
        Which football are we talking about? lol

I follow the worldwide one and I think it applies to that, and tennis like you mentioned is another example. I think the older athlete is not as rare as it was 15 years ago. NBA & NHL players seem to go longer too...HGH, TRT etc makes a big difference, and they are always trying to come up with better PEDs.

Barry Bonds was doing career numbers in his late 30's. Lance Armstrong was still a top 5 guy in his last comeback, and while I have no idea about cycling, it is suppose to be one the most grueling sports.
        Last edited by RSBonos; 12-24-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Which football are we talking about? lol

I follow the worldwide one and I think it applies to that, and tennis like you mentioned is another example. I think the older athlete is not as rare as it was 15 years ago. NBA & NHL players seem to go longer too...HGH, TRT etc makes a big difference, and they are always trying to come up with better PEDs.
          yeah, soccer lol

and no it doesn't apply to that

I will concede that NBA/NHL is problematic, as are most American sports, the drug scandals there are disgraceful. It doesn't apply to the same extent to Europe or Asia. Even in the US, athletes caught doping are often suspended or banned for life.

Comment

yeah, soccer lol

and no it doesn't apply to that

I will concede that NBA/NHL is problematic, as are most American sports, the drug scandals there are disgraceful. It doesn't apply to the same extent to Europe or Asia.
            I'm sorry to break this to you, friend...on xmas of all days. But your football heroes are using. Ronaldo is a walking lab for top shelf PEDs.

and it does apply, it used to be that after 30 you might as well retire if you aren't a goalie or at the very least a CB.

Tennis used to be a teenagers sport, right?...maybe i'm wrong. Guys are going in their 30's now too.

Comment

I'm sorry to break this to you, friend...on xmas of all days. But your football heroes are using. Ronaldo is a walking lab for top shelf PEDs.

and it does apply, it used to be that after 30 you might as well retire if you aren't a goalie or at the very least a CB.

Tennis used to be a teenagers sport, right?...maybe i'm wrong. Guys are going in their 30's now too.
              lol come on, speculation will not win you arguments.

I'm not saying football isn't a better playground for the plus 30 club but how many great players do you still see playing at the very highest level over 35?

Cristiano may well be the best player in the sport at this very moment and over the course of the last 12 months or so, he is only 29, Messi even younger. Muller is starting to solidify his place as one of the best and was the outstanding striker of the world cup, he is only 24/25. Neymar is in his early 20s still and one of the leading international goal scorers and one of the top 5 player plying their trade in europe. Manuel Neuer, the best goalie in the game is still only 28.

Tennis hasn't been a teenage sport for decades now, although the bets players have shown themselves by their early 20s...which is what I've maintained all along. In boxing, a guy can be in his mid to late 20s right now and not even be considered a star. Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, the leading tennis players of our generation were considered world class by the time they reached 25, some earlier.

Comment

They don't have any real testing in football and sports in general, it would be counterproductive to actually try to catch the marketable names.

and for boxing, p4p also comes with the legacy. Sure there are a few up there now that are older, but they are also atg and I would not bet any money that they are clean.

again you probably know a lot more about tennis, but it was my impression that 25 was when they would start to fall off, now it's their prime.

Also factor in that boxers, while taking part in probably the toughest sport in the world, are only doing it a few times a year and experience and guile plays a huge role in 1 v 1 rather than team sports.
                Last edited by RSBonos; 12-24-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X