No announcement yet.

How much is TOO MUCH!! road work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is TOO MUCH!! road work?

Ive heard sotries about guys like marciano and hagler running 10-15 miles....

did they do that everyday?

whats the ideal amount and is it pointless to do that much cause it could be over training...

i guess it depends on the person....

but what do u guys think???????

A decent competing runner will cover over 100 miles a week. But not professional boxers.

James J Jeffries boasted that he used to run 12 miles a day, but frankly I don't think his pace was that great over the distance. That sort of distance to a heavyweight is very conducive to injury.

More recently I once read an interview that said Marco Antonio Barrera believed in running 10 miles a day even when out of training camp. Also that Timothy Bradley once ran 15 miles the day of a fight because he was jittery! But it cant be that common.

Boxing is very much an anaerobic exercise too, with great varieties of pace.....very explosive. A distance training run every day would compromise energy levels and time to work on fight specific training such as interval training, floorwork/abdominal work, bag work, focus mitt sessions, weights and most importantly sparring.

I don't doubt that a longer run (10-15 miles) perhaps once or twice a week might figure in some fighters training camps.....but not every day. Shorter runs, sprints, hill reps etc are much more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      A decent competing runner will cover over 100 miles a week. But not professional boxers.

James J Jeffries boasted that he used to run 12 miles a day, but frankly I don't think his pace was that great over the distance. That sort of distance to a heavyweight is very conducive to injury.

More recently I once read an interview that said Marco Antonio Barrera believed in running 10 miles a day even when out of training camp. Also that Timothy Bradley once ran 15 miles the day of a fight because he was jittery! But it cant be that common.

Boxing is very much an anaerobic exercise too, with great varieties of pace.....very explosive. A distance training run every day would compromise energy levels and time to work on fight specific training such as interval training, floorwork/abdominal work, bag work, focus mitt sessions, weights and most importantly sparring.

I don't doubt that a longer run (10-15 miles) perhaps once or twice a week might figure in some fighters training camps.....but not every day. Shorter runs, sprints, hill reps etc are much more likely.
      sounds reasonable

Comment

some of those guys that are able to pull that off because they have been doing it so long it's pretty much second nature to them, so 8-15 miles to us sounds like death if we had to do it everyday...

also me personally i dont think the whole 10-15 everyday is necessary , maybe a few times out the week , but like the other poster said Shorter runs with a lot of explosion type running and explosion drills i think are just as important....

Comment

i was wondering about this too. i was watching the tour de france at the weekend and decided i want to do that next year. not compete obviously, but do the circuit in my holiday from uni. but i personaly think that anything over a mile is useless because it is aerobic and boxing is anaerobic.

also, cycling for 10 hours a day (or running for 10 miles) will build up huge amounts of slow twitch muscles, which are useless for boxing. so what do you guys think? should i go for it, or will it impact badly on my boxing? thanks

Comment

Carmen Basilio one of the best endurance fighters of all time, run 4 miles per day. Increasing sprint intervals as the fight camp went underway until he was sprinting two miles out of the four.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Carmen Basilio one of the best endurance fighters of all time, run 4 miles per day. Increasing sprint intervals as the fight camp went underway until he was sprinting two miles out of the four.
              i would say his insane endurance was probably down to him training with sprint intervals for a very long time, rather than running for a very long time. just jogging 4 miles wouldn't be half as good.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about slow twitch muscle fibres in individuals who run distances at around the 10 mile mark.

A half decent athlete/boxer will run ten miles at a quick pace regardless. There would, I agree be little point in running the distance any slower than 8 minute miles........and in some cases much faster. Plus all the other boxing training.........sprints, skipping (doubles in particular) would keep the fast twitch fibres in check.

Comment

Working...
                X