No announcement yet.

Confused about mouthguards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about mouthguards

Alright, earlier today I was at Big 5 looking at these different mouthpieces that were around like 3 to 10 dollars. But this one mouthguard was like 25 dollars and it was advertised as preventing against concussions and brain injury and having airholes in the middle of it to help fighters breath.

My question is what is it about their mouthpieces that makes them so good or are they just hyping their product? I'm kind of confused because I don't know much about mouthguards but they guarantee you won't get your teeth knocked out (or they'll cover the dental fees) and I don't understand how the airholes in the mouthpiece (other than helping to breath) coinside with preventing brain damage and concussions. You're still going to get the piss knocked out of you, how is a some foam with holes it going to help much?

Can someone please help me, I don't mean to sound stupid but I really can't see a mouthguard being that good no matter how much they cost. Enlighten me please
    Last edited by nitepanther; 07-28-2006, 07:26 PM.

since the "brainpad" is a double-mouthpiece, the bottom part locks your jaw in place. more protected than single mouthguards.

but some people like single better, i use the brainpad and i like it.

Comment

I use a double but like single better. I only use it for sparring though, so I don't need anything fancy.

Comment

i use a single mouthpeice

a 99cent one will do

its easier to breathe and th most economical

but if youw ant one that will last, go get a custom one made

Comment

Originally posted by LightsOut Le
          i use a single mouthpeice

a 99cent one will do

its easier to breathe and th most economical

but if youw ant one that will last, go get a custom one made
          there are huge differences in mouthguards and Lightsout Le thanks for posting the picture,my company www.customguards.com made that mouthguard for B-Hop.

Doubles pose the idea that moving the jaw slightly forward opens a space in the condial making the distance between the jaw and the skull further apart thus when you get hit on the button(straight punch to the jaw)the jaw has farther to travel and the impact dissapates reducing the chance of a KO.You get the same distance with a custom single and our guards tend to be a least twice as thick as a boil and bite providing more cushion from all blows. All that and it is easier to breath with a custom as well as the fit cannot be matched you need to pull it out. A custom will outlast a boil and bite 4 to 1.

Comment

Working...
          X