No announcement yet.

Expectations for Rios v Gamboa?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
    i think i read somewhere that they finally hired a nutritionist? and that the reason Rios was dyin to make 135 was because of how he handled himself in between fights?

i was going under that premise when i made my prediction...if that's not the case, then i expect a wide, wipeout points win for Gamboa
    Yea, and pretty sure that Eaner said something about that on here and it wasn't long ago.

Originally posted by HardAss View Post
    I see both getting knocked out at the same time in the last round at the last second.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      It's been rehashed a million times but this really comes down to weight. Can Rios make it comfortably still? Will Gamboa still be effective? If so...I see two scenarios. One being Gamboa pulling ahead to a nice lead and holding off a late Rios run. The other...and more likely scenario IMO...Gamboa pulls out to a huge lead but, as is his M.O., begins to fade and Rios comes on strong, finishing him in the 10th or 11th.
      Gamboa better not let his hands go too far down. I dont know if he could take a flush shot from Rios.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
        I dont think Gamboa will hurt Rios.

Its going to be like a poor mans chavez vs Meldrick Taylor.

If Rios can take getting hit all night and can actually land on Gamboa he could stop him late.

Gamboa can get the W but only through distance. Brandon is pretty tough, I dont see him getting stopped but I could see him getting puffed up from accumulation.

Just my 2 Coach.
        Right. Dude is tough as nails. However, I see Gamboa's speed bothering him and if he can't close the distance on Yuri, he could lose a wide UD.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
          I anticipate Gamboa doing whatever the hell he feels like doing.

When the speed advantage over your opponent is THAT far apart, it's hard to overcome... I also feel like Gamboa is going to carry some power up with him... the way that he's built.. he's compact, I think he's going to have more pop than expected.
          He's going to need it.

Comment

Mini-Roy.....

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
              Mini-Roy.....
              That's you're boy!

Comment

Originally posted by COACH WEBB View Post
                What are your expectations for this? Will it be a great fight? What are you expecting out of Rios vs Gamboa? Who are you picking to win and why?
                I am picking Gamboa to stop Rios he is entirely too fast, he will be able to move in and out landing power shots whenever he wants and Bam Bam won't be able to catch him and corner him.

I know Bam Bam has a great chin but he is going to be hit alot even if by a FW but Gamboa has incredible power and I doubt moving a 9lbs is going to turn him into some featherduster.

Comment

Let's look at the tale of the tape and skills.

Boxing - Gamboa

Speed - Gamboa

Power - Rios

Pressure - Rios

Size - Rios

Chin - Rios

Stamina - Push?

I think on paper, you look at Gamboa and just see a more skilled boxer, with speed and power at 130lbs and think he will be a handful for Rios.

The only thing is, Salido isn't as big or strong as Rios and managed to pressure and even knock down Gamboa. Rios belongs at 140lbs, he's HUGE for this weight and by the time fight night comes, he will have rehydrated and will be so much bigger and stronger I just think it might be too much for Gamboa.

Remember, Acosta is speedy and is a tremendous boxer and Rios wore him down like he wasn't even there. I think people are sleeping on how strong Rios really is and the biggest question for me in this fight is how well can Rios take Gamboa's shots. Because if he takes them well, it's over for Gamboa unless he has the boxing performance of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                    I am picking Gamboa to stop Rios he is entirely too fast, he will be able to move in and out landing power shots whenever he wants and Bam Bam won't be able to catch him and corner him.

I know Bam Bam has a great chin but he is going to be hit alot even if by a FW but Gamboa has incredible power and I doubt moving a 9lbs is going to turn him into some featherduster.
                    Gamboa is really a jr lw fighting at fw.

The jump to 135 isn't going to be as substantial as some think. Plus he has a stocky, muscular, compact build... He could very well be a powerhouse at 135, and the guys are slower than at fw.

His height doesn't matter... with his lateral movement, and speed, it's difficult to get at him, and when you do.. you make yourself vulnerable by having to throw down to get at him, you leave your chin exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                      Let's look at the tale of the tape and skills.

Boxing - Gamboa

Speed - Gamboa

Power - Rios

Pressure - Rios

Size - Rios

Chin - Rios

Stamina - Push?

I think on paper, you look at Gamboa and just see a more skilled boxer, with speed and power at 130lbs and think he will be a handful for Rios.

The only thing is, Salido isn't as big or strong as Rios and managed to pressure and even knock down Gamboa. Rios belongs at 140lbs, he's HUGE for this weight and by the time fight night comes, he will have rehydrated and will be so much bigger and stronger I just think it might be too much for Gamboa.

Remember, Acosta is speedy and is a tremendous boxer and Rios wore him down like he wasn't even there. I think people are sleeping on how strong Rios really is and the biggest question for me in this fight is how well can Rios take Gamboa's shots. Because if he takes them well, it's over for Gamboa unless he has the boxing performance of his life.
                      Good point and as I said earlier, I'm interested to see how Gamboa deals with Rios' pressure. He's reminds me of a mini-Tony in that regard. And to the contrary, can Rios close the distance and actually get to Gamboa?

Comment

Working...
                      X