No announcement yet.

When Neon Leon Met the Greatest: A Look Back, Forty Years Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Neon Leon Met the Greatest: A Look Back, Forty Years Later

Wandering about after dinner, as former champions circulated around the venue, known as the Rusty Rail, I didn’t expect to come upon a former heavyweight champion sitting alone at one of the many serving spots. Older and thicker, he was still recognizably Leon Spinks, especially when he flashed that unmistakable grin—a grin now fully capped with teeth, not the gap-filled mouth that became iconic during 1978, when Spinks took a ride on the American Dream rollercoaster, jumped off when he reached bottom, and was rarely heard from again.

“Champ,” I said, and he turned toward me at the word, “I was eleven years old, up past my bedtime, the night you beat Muhammad Ali; I saw every round.”

He grinned again, took a long drink, and said, “Sheeeeiiiiit.”

I remembered something else. “When they announced the decision, I felt a little sorry for Ali. Did you feel sorry, too?” Spinks had idolized him.

“Hell, no, man—I beat his ass!”

https://hannibalboxing.com/when-neon...y-years-later/

Nice. Cool nickname. Reminds me of the toy from the '80s. Shine on, Neon Leon.

Comment

I watched that bout live on TV. I was 18 years old at the time. Never did I cheer so hard as I waited so long to see Ali beaten. That night he was.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        Never did I cheer so hard as I waited so long to see Ali beaten.
        Sad to say, but in the days of '78 we had got tired of Ali and all the talking. And we knew, he wasn't No. 1 anymore.

Personally, I find Leon's finest hour when he beat Cuban hardhitter Soria for the Olympic gold medal. For an amateur fight, it was a helluva fight.

Comment

I watched that bout live on TV. I was 18 years old at the time. Never did I cheer so hard as I waited so long to see Ali beaten. That night he was.
          Same way I felt when De La Hoya was beaten

Comment

The Spinks Jinxs. Part of the greatest American Olympic Boxing Team Ever.

Comment

Brings back memories. To think on that night I actually found a sucker to bet on Leon. Lost 15 dollars, thought to myself, now who is the sucker.

Comment

A toast to yesterday.
                Me too but I was a little younger (12). I remember it being the talk of all the kids in my neighborhood the next day.That's how big of a deal the heavyweight championship was back then.I would imagine the ratings were very high considering most homes at that time had only 3 or 4 channels. And then when Leon started acting up and getting in trouble the days and weeks after the fight,you would hear the jokes about him like using a rope for dental floss, can't talk etc, etc. I felt sorry for him.

Comment

Comment

Pretty cool looking Neon Leon 1978 T shirts out there for sale. Sorry. I do not know how to load the images.

https://www.titleboxing.com/neon-leo...SABEgLekPD_BwE
                    Last edited by LITTLE JOE; 09-21-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X