Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiser (older) guys on BoxingScene, how did you turn your life around for the better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid twenties? Pretty much still a kid. Probably not even fair to yourself to take inventory already. Besides, it sounds like you already turned your life around. Now you just need to keep at it. Don't stop working is all I can say. You can rest when you die.

Comment

Decided to get a formal education so I knew how the world around me “works”. An education is a great thing. Makes it very difficult to be deceived by those whose only desire is to do so.

Comment

Lotta good stuff in this thread, namely from darksied and kingkush. I’m 27 and currently experiencing what op is going thru. Little background bs in psychology but work as a line cook. It’s all good I’ll improve my situation somehow someway.

Comment

I’m just trying to find my purpose in life. Been thinking about it for years. Starting to think suck a line of thinking is detrimental to my future.

Comment

I left no witnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
              I stopped drinking and the whole party-all the-time-scene. Quit hanging out with people who party, slowly got healthier mentally, emotionally and physically. Started better friendships with good, productive people. Left old life behind.
              I'm currently on the same path you took. My party days are over and I'm currently investing time on myself financially. People don't realize how the people around you influence the things you do and think. I have the girlfriend that I spend time with and hopefully in the next year or so I'll be able to start something on my own to get the ball rolling. I'm ok financially right now but I can't see myself working for someone else in the future. If that doesn't work I can always pick up where I'm at and give it another try down the road. Failure is part of learning and also maturing

Comment

42 with a nice home, car, zero debt, and enough savings that I could stop working for 3 years and be ok. I was homeless at 18 and life wasn't easy. I could list a lot of specific events but the more helpful thing would be to list general principles that helped me;

-Be pleasant. In your life you'll encounter a lot of people that like to help out those who are pleasant. The miserable fuks who like to "just be themselves" have it much harder.

-Have a good partner. Be it a girlfriend or best friend, you'll have a lot more money if your expenses are divided between two people. Combine this with principle 1 and you're going to get ahead of the curb.

-Be frugal. Just because everyone else spends tons on a phone, cable, car, etc, doesn't mean you need to. Find cheaper ways to get those things. Learn how to make your own food. Being disciplined in these areas will free up literally hundreds of dollars per month. My friends think I make a lot. Not really, I just don't have to spend a lot unnecessarily so I have money.

-Finally, force yourself to continually put money away and not touch it. Don't even think of it as an option. Blows my mind how many people go month to month and are ok with it. Once you put away $5k, it gets really easy. After a while you stop counting, you just keep living by those solid principles.

And, for the record, I still buy nice stuff. I just mitigate how much I waste so that I can put the money into nice stuff instead.

Comment

Never, EVER have any kind of hopes or dreams. Keep them expectations looooooooooooooooooooooow.

Comment

just made a conscious decision to do so and put action behind it.

Comment

Dedicate yourself to education. Let nothing stop you from obtaining a Bachelors degree. A degree opens doors that are unattainable without it. Plus you walk away with the added bonus of knowing how the world works. You can’t be fooled. You can spot BS a mile away.

Comment

Working...
                      X