No announcement yet.

Time for some of you to watch the replay joe cortez had restarted the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RapidFire_Royce View Post
    Man even though i don't think Joe cortez is totally to blame for this i would have sooooo rather seen Kenny Bayless as the ref he is my favorite always attentive and on top of EVERYTHING!
    One thing people are forgetting is that floyd was taxing that ass. He was dominating and was on a course for a very easy win. regardless of that, the rules of boxing must be respected and applied. If they are, the title will return to ortiz and this will be declared a no contest

Somehow, I doubt for the relevant powers to be to have the bollocks to apply the rules.

Comment

I just watched the ending sequence again he told the fighters to re engage but never called time in but he did clearly tell the fighters to start fighting again. So the instruction given to Floyd and Victor were to start fighting he actually asked the time keeper had the bell ring as if he assumed once he said lets go to the fighters the time keeper automatically restarted the fight. he never said time in he just asked the time keeper "did the bell ring?" as if the clock restarted on his "lets go" call.

It looks like he did mess up by not officially saying time in but he clearly gave instruction to the two fighters to start fighting again.
      Cortez messed up for two reasons. When a foul is committed, the ref should send the fighter that was fouled to a neutral corner, and then warn or take a point away from the fighter who committed the foul. He should also stop the clock to do all of this.

Instead he allowed them to basically wander the ring. Even if he said "Lets go!" he has to control and BE in control of the action. Meaning, bring the fighters together or initiate the fight from the center of the ring. Instead he turned to the side looking and talking to the time keeper and allowed Floyd to sucker punch Ortiz.

Bad, bad job by Cortez. He really made a mess of this one and I like Cortez, know him personally and think he's a great guy but he didn't go by the book on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
        One thing people are forgetting is that floyd was taxing that ass. He was dominating and was on a course for a very easy win. regardless of that, the rules of boxing must be respected and applied. If they are, the title will return to ortiz and this will be declared a no contest

Somehow, I doubt for the relevant powers to be to have the bollocks to apply the rules.
        WIth all the controversy that is surrounding the fight i would not be bothered by it being turned to a NC just because a title should not change hands on a ending like this I think all three people in the ring played a part in the fight turning out the way it did, no one is blameless but a championship fight should only be controversial if the scores are close and for no other reason

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
          Cortez messed up for two reasons. When a foul is committed, the ref should send the fighter that was fouled to a neutral corner, and then warn or take a point away from the fighter who committed the foul. He should also stop the clock to do all of this.

Instead he allowed them to basically wander the ring. Even if he said "Lets go!" he has to control and BE in control of the action. Meaning, bring the fighters together or initiate the fight from the center of the ring. Instead he turned to the side looking and talking to the time keeper and allowed Floyd to sucker punch Ortiz.

Bad, bad job by Cortez. He really made a mess of this one and I like Cortez, know him personally and think he's a great guy but he didn't go by the book on this one.
          And what you just said was the problem i had with Cortez last night it wasn't that he wasnt looking at the end it was that it was kind of sloppy how he handled the break they engaged on their own twice during the break usually a ref NEVER lets the fighters come close to each other. i felt like he did call the fight back in but i do feel like he did it in such a sloppy fashion that now we have this.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
            Cortez did his job. Floyd could've played it classier by cooling off then opening up on Vic. Sooner or later that KO was coming. Floyd was ahead on the cards.
            Ortiz tried to head butt him a few times before he landed the last one so it was part of his game plan obviously. Intentional head butts are one of the dirtiest moves in boxing and it looked good on Ortiz getting knocked out after what he did with the next 2 punches. Mayweather gave him a couple of shots when he obviously wasnt ready but i doubt he thought he would drop him like that. Its Ortiz own fault he lost and he should be more embarassed than Mayweather.

Comment

I don't believe any other ref would've expected that sort of reaction from any fighter that night. It caught Cortez, and no less Vic, off guard. Nobody would've mentioned jack **** about Cortez had the fight rolled on after he waved both fighters to continue.

That was a disqualification warranted headbutt. Not no "1 point off" penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by titan m View Post
                Ortiz tried to head butt him a few times before he landed the last one so it was part of his game plan obviously. Intentional head butts are one of the dirtiest moves in boxing and it looked good on Ortiz getting knocked out after what he did with the next 2 punches. Mayweather gave him a couple of shots when he obviously wasnt ready but i doubt he thought he would drop him like that. Its Ortiz own fault he lost and he should be more embarassed than Mayweather.
                I just watched that re-play Dedication posted. It definitely looks like that was plan all along: to "get him on the ropes and use your head to rough him up".

There's no other way they could've beaten Floyd.

Comment

after the head but joe pulled them apart took away the point moved ortiz to the separate corner told him not to do that again then looked over to Floyd in the other corner and clearly said "lets go" and motioned for them to to re engage. He looks over to the time keep and asked did the bell ring? because he knew there was little time left in the round. The fact that Victor ortiz tried to apologize for a third time is on him Mayweather had his hands up and was still clearly upset over what happened Victor Ortiz just learned you can't try to make a boxing match into a street fight then try and take it back.
                  EXACTLY!! I post this in another thread.

Comment

also dont forget that we faintly heard Cortez say "Fight", but Ortiz didnt, we have the bonus of having Cortez mic'ed up. If we barely heard Cortez say fight thru a microphone, what chance did Ortiz hear it with a ton of people yelling in the arena?

People seem to think that they can hear, they couldnt, we barely heard it and had to slow it down just to hear. Ortiz doesnt have luxury of Having Cortez being miced up in his ear.

It was shady Reffing and one of the worst I seen in my life, look who was sitting and doing the undercards

1) Kenny Bayless
                    2) Tony Weeks
                    3) Vic Drac
                    4) Jeff Nady

All 4 guys are way better than Cortez, and I think Kenny Bayless is #2 Ref in world behind Steve Smoger.

Comment

My son is a amateur boxer the refs cant talk to the because the use hand gestures that lets the fighters know fight. The reason is boxing is international and dont want fighters who speak the same language as the ref to have an advantage. cortez motioned the fighters in to fight Floyd did and Ortiz didnt fight over. With that being said Cortez shouldn't have turned his back on the fighters after telling them to fight

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Error

An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
                      Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.