No announcement yet.

Attacking as a southpaw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attacking as a southpaw?

Ok so I get boxing is all about counter striking.

BUT

If everyone just couter strikes, no one would ever throw a punch, it would just be two guys fienting the crap out of each other.

So I believe you need to know how to attack directly and I want to know how to do that as a southpaw.

I feel comfortable attacking with a x2 jab cross or a jab cross, but im told I should lead with my cross as a south paw but I feel too slow stepping in then throwing the lead cross because the cross is slow enough as it is since it has to travel so far, if you then add a diagonal step foward, the opponent has plenty of time to get away!

Advices for this noob?

Jab/Left Cross
    Jab/Jab/Left Cross
    Jab body/Left Cross to Head
    Jab Head/Left Cross to body/Right Hook

^^^Darn good start

Lead left cross is a good first punch for southpaw if you have good, quick feet. Landing that punch is all about footwork and timing. Practice is, if you can get the footwork part down, great. If you can't I wouldn't try it.

Aside from these options, try these to start offense as a southpaw.

Jab/Left Cross/Right Hook (throw the jab almost like a feint just to wind up for the cross then snap quickly with the right hook).

Right Hook/Straight Left

If you feeling really froggy...

Jab/Jab/Throw away Left Cross/Right Hook Body/Right Hook Head/Left Cross
    Jab/Jab/Overhand Left

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
      Jab/Left Cross
      Jab/Jab/Left Cross

^^^Darn good start

Lead left cross is a good first punch for southpaw if you have good, quick feet. Landing that punch is all about footwork and timing. Practice is, if you can get the footwork part down, great. If you can't I wouldn't try it.

Jab/Left Cross/Right Hook (throw the jab almost like a feint just to wind up for the cross then snap quickly with the right hook).

Right Hook/Straight Left

Jab/Jab/Overhand Left
      I very much like your answer thanks bro much apreciated!

I get the foot work part now I wasnt bringing my rear foot along with me fast enough!
      Last edited by AlexKid; 03-28-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I don't think directly attacking instead of countering is a new innovation in boxing

Comment

Sergio Martinez has made a career out of moving right then darting in on the orthodox's blind spot hittting and moving. If you can move to the orthodox fighter's left and dart in before he readjusts his stance you will be coming in on his vulnerable blind spot where he can't do anything to you. This is an attack a southpaw should really work on as it is easy points.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
            Sergio Martinez has made a career out of moving right then darting in on the orthodox's blind spot hittting and moving. If you can move to the orthodox fighter's left and dart in before he readjusts his stance you will be coming in on his vulnerable blind spot where he can't do anything to you. This is an attack a southpaw should really work on as it is easy points.
            Nice!

Thanks Mongo! Great tactic!

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
              Jab/Left Cross
              Jab/Jab/Left Cross

^^^Darn good start

Right Hook/Straight Left

Jab/Jab/Overhand Left
              far too many jabs in there, you'd be eating right hands all night with somebody that knew how to fight.................. Rockin;

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                far too many jabs in there, you'd be eating right hands all night with somebody that knew how to fight.................. Rockin;
                What combos do you suggest Rockin?

Cheers mate!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                  What combos do you suggest Rockin?

Cheers mate!
                  I shouldn't have even responded, I don't know nothin' bout no boxing............. Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    I shouldn't have even responded, I don't know nothin' bout no boxing............. Rockin'
                    Cmon Rockin, we know you know boxing well!

I bet you reccomend... Cross hook, Slip Cross, Parry Cross, ?

Comment

Working...
                    X