No announcement yet.

California Passes Weight Cut Rules for Combat Sports

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Passes Weight Cut Rules for Combat Sports

As perhaps the leading jurisdiction when it comes to tackling rapid extreme weight cuts in combat sports, a practice which has led to notable injuries and even death, California has passed emergency rules adding much needed regulation and oversight to the dangerous practice.

The new rules, which are the most robust passed by any US or Canadian jurisdiction, read as follows and are self explanatory in their scope:

http://combatsportslaw.com/2016/02/0...combat-sports/

This is step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      As perhaps the leading jurisdiction when it comes to tackling rapid extreme weight cuts in combat sports, a practice which has led to notable injuries and even death, California has passed emergency rules adding much needed regulation and oversight to the dangerous practice.

The new rules, which are the most robust passed by any US or Canadian jurisdiction, read as follows and are self explanatory in their scope:

http://combatsportslaw.com/2016/02/0...combat-sports/
      this is good news, too bad is only calfornia, lets hope Nevada, texas and new jersey follow...

Comment

I like it in theory.

Comment

That's good

Comment

I was expecting some type of hard rehydration rule. Like you could only rehydrate 7% more after weight in or a specific amount of pounds. Not sure how big of a difference this will make.

Fighters who cut massive weight probably look fully hydrated by the time their fight starts. The problem is that it takes longer to rehydrate your brain, and I don't think the doctors could really check that. I would think a checkup immediately after the weigh in would make more sense. If you look more terrible than what's reasonable after a weigh in, you're out.
            Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 02-14-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I don't see how this makes much of a difference tbh. It's just the same as what we have now in theory. Unless the commission finds a fighter cutting too much weight and gets him to move up, cancelling the fight in the process, it changes nothing.

Edit: What concerns me more is guys putting on 10-20lb for a fight from weigh in to fight night. Put in a hard clause, across all sports commissions and all states/countries, that a fighter can only rehydrate up to 4lb. Nothing more.

Better still, have the organisations put in this rule.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                I was expecting some type of hard rehydration rule. Like you could only rehydrate 7% more after weight in or a specific amount of pounds. Not sure how big of a difference this will make.

Fighters who cut massive weight probably look fully hydrated by the time their fight starts. The problem is that it takes longer to rehydrate your brain, and I don't think the doctors could really check that. I would think a checkup immediately after the weigh in would make more sense. If you look more terrible than what's reasonable after a weigh in, you're out.

Yep, theres no actual numbers attached to it, all words. "that the doctor deems dehydrated" whoop de do. Even the ban on rehydration via IV, still allows for it with fighter and commision doctor approval. didnt out right restrict anything.

Comment

I wonder if the ban on IV rehydration will be referred to as the "The Floyd Rule".....

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    I wonder if the ban on IV rehydration will be referred to as the "The Floyd Rule".....
                    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha good idea really

Comment

Working...
                    X