No announcement yet.

Thinking About Going Pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Going Pro

Not pro fighter, I'm contemplating becoming an athletic trainer.

Work is slowing down and doesn't seem to be coming back; orders have been down for 6 months. Pretty soon I'll need something to fill the hole in the wallet and being a trainer beats bagging groceries or getting my certificate to substitute-teach. I took a practice exam for the ACE certification and passed it with 80%.

I live in a ritzy area, pretty much an island, with a YMCA, a 24-Hour Fitness, and only one non-chain gym. Huge untapped market around here. Hell, a guy from the YMCA saw me on the heavybag a few months ago and asked me if I'd consider teaching boxing. I told him I didn't want it on my conscience. Plus, I would feel too much like Bart and Milhouse making the Canadian Olympic Basketball Team.

I'm still going to box but I doubt I'd ever train a fighter.

Thoughts? Serious about this, BTW.

If i were you i'd do it in a heartbeat. Was the guy at ymca thinking of opening his own boxing gym or do they have boxing classes there?

Comment

Originally posted by dfwtx View Post
      If i were you i'd do it in a heartbeat. Was the guy at ymca thinking of opening his own boxing gym or do they have boxing classes there?
      They wanted me to volunteer teaching beginning boxing. Fundamentals, conditioning, etc. He saw me annihilating their little 40-lb. heavy bag and we got to talking. I told him I'd been training for a few years & had a handful of charity bouts under my belt, and he said they'd set up a class if I wanted to teach it. I declined it, though.

Comment

My advice is, if you're seriously considering something like this (perhaps in the future), is to speak to real trainers like punchdrunk and to see how things are unfolding for him. I am sure that by the time you have to retire from boxing because of age, you will have been doing it for so long that you'll want to be in a gym anyway, even if you're not training yourself. I suppose that's when the little tikes come into play.

If you're thinking about starting to train fighters now, I would maybe go by the gym and see how the kids are there. If a lot of them are truly beginners, then you could try it out and see how they react to you. I would only advise that your skill level be significantly higher than theirs, so that you are able to hold their respect.

I have always had this dream of coaching kids in the future. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
          Not pro fighter, I'm contemplating becoming an athletic trainer.

Work is slowing down and doesn't seem to be coming back; orders have been down for 6 months. Pretty soon I'll need something to fill the hole in the wallet and being a trainer beats bagging groceries or getting my certificate to substitute-teach. I took a practice exam for the ACE certification and passed it with 80%.

I live in a ritzy area, pretty much an island, with a YMCA, a 24-Hour Fitness, and only one non-chain gym. Huge untapped market around here. Hell, a guy from the YMCA saw me on the heavybag a few months ago and asked me if I'd consider teaching boxing. I told him I didn't want it on my conscience. Plus, I would feel too much like Bart and Milhouse making the Canadian Olympic Basketball Team.

I'm still going to box but I doubt I'd ever train a fighter.

Thoughts? Serious about this, BTW.
          Perhaps its time to start building bigger boats!

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            Perhaps its time to start building bigger boats!
            Actually, the bigger boat companies are getting hit a lot harder than we are. People can still afford dinghies and little day-sailers. Touch wood.

Originally posted by sukhenkoy

If you're thinking about starting to train fighters now, I would maybe go by the gym and see how the kids are there. If a lot of them are truly beginners, then you could try it out and see how they react to you. I would only advise that your skill level be significantly higher than theirs, so that you are able to hold their respect.
            Perhaps you misread me. I don't want to be a boxing trainer. I'm thinking of getting my ACSM or ACE certification and becoming a fitness trainer. I don't think there's enough clientèle for another boxing trainer in this area to make a livable wage, and I'm nowhere near good enough to train someone for a fight. If he was fighting anyone other than Zelenoff or BStrege, I'd be stuck raking pieces of him into a bag after everyone had gone home. How embarrassing would THAT be?

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
              Actually, the bigger boat companies are getting hit a lot harder than we are. People can still afford dinghies and little day-sailers. Touch wood.

Perhaps you misread me. I don't want to be a boxing trainer. I'm thinking of getting my ACSM or ACE certification and becoming a fitness trainer. I don't think there's enough clientèle for another boxing trainer in this area to make a livable wage, and I'm nowhere near good enough to train someone for a fight. If he was fighting anyone other than Zelenoff or BStrege, I'd be stuck raking pieces of him into a bag after everyone had gone home. How embarrassing would THAT be?
              a fitness trainer or personal trainer is a good idea, i knew a canadian guy who was living in california and working as a personal trainer he was able to suport himself pretty well. if u're in the right area where people have lots of disposable income and they're willing to give it to u, it's a good way to make money. i think i'd enjoy seeing some egocentric yuppies feel some pain as they struggle through their workouts myself

Comment

Im on my way for that at the moment, if you get your Kinesiology, Post Rehab as well you can make good money

Comment

I think its a good idea. Im slightly (just slightly) biased since Im going to college to be a fitness trainer lol. Is there a crossfit around your area? their memberships are ******ed expensive so maybe they get paid more, and the workouts are wicked.

Comment

Honestly doode, you should definately go for it..
                    I've seen youve come a long way man..

You do have alot of knowledge about fitness/the body/recovery/lifting ect..
                    I'm not aware of what your current occupation is but, training sounds like its up your ally man..
                    Think about it, you box and do physical activities for fun, Imagine gettin paid for it?
                    Killing 2 birds with one stone, thats how I see it..

Where do you live, and what is your occupation now?

Comment

Working...
                    X