No announcement yet.

Skipping rope benefits

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping rope benefits

Can someone explain what does skipping rope help with in boxing? I know conditioning, but is there more things it helps with? Does it help you throw better punches? Is it worth incorporating, or should I just keep running long miles everyday?
    Last edited by Beasting102; 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM.

Footwork. Yes incorporating it is good. Dont halfass it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicamex View Post
      Footwork. Yes incorporating it is good. Dont halfass it.
      Alright, will do. I have a cable one with a swivel that smacks the **** out of me when I miss

Comment

I was taught certain steps when skipping. Like bouncing on one foot while tapping the floor with the other switching back and forth. I find it helps with my balance and shifting of weight from
        One foot
        To the other.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqwku_iHRv8&t=51s

enjoy the journey

ps- bilge pump operational.

Comment

timing, coordination, footwork, conditioning, cardio... it's a versatile tool, and there various ropes you can get, e.g. speed-rope, muay thai rope, nylon

Comment

Also it helps condition all the fine muscles in the lower leg for the time you’re spending on the balls of the feet while boxing. Especially using the boxer skip and variations of the like. Helps a person to be more light on their feet. Start with some rounds and rest periods in between, then build up to 20-30 minutes continuous jumping with no breaks. This also teaches economy of motion. If you can jump for extended time periods like this, you’re actually learning how to relax muscles that aren’t being used and only firing the muscles you need for the time they are engaged. Carry this economy of motion (and learning to relax) over to your boxing and other exercises. People tend to tense up muscles not being used and waste energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
                Carry this economy of motion (and learning to relax) over to your boxing and other exercises. People tend to tense up muscles not being used and waste energy.
                I just freaking twitched reading this last part lol. You ever think of coaching because you sound just like my coach. "Relax." "Relax your muscles! You'll be faster, quicker, smoother!" I swear I get yelled at so much during mitts because I tend to tense up a lot. Pisses my coach off like no tomorrow, that and staying stationary for too long will get me reamed for dayssss.

Also - for skipping rope, breathing. It helps with your breathing.
                "If a man can't breathe, a man can't fight."

Comment

Some people try to find some greater purpose to skipping rope but it's the same thing as the speed bag, you can't do the really intense stuff all day so you need things to keep busy. Rope and speed bad both work muscles that get used in boxing, they work your timing, keep your heart going which helps stamina. All things that help a boxer, though they aren't critical.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
                    I just freaking twitched reading this last part lol. You ever think of coaching because you sound just like my coach. "Relax." "Relax your muscles! You'll be faster, quicker, smoother!" I swear I get yelled at so much during mitts because I tend to tense up a lot. Pisses my coach off like no tomorrow, that and staying stationary for too long will get me reamed for dayssss.

Also - for skipping rope, breathing. It helps with your breathing.
                    "If a man can't breathe, a man can't fight."
                    A relaxed muscle will fire quicker than an tensed up muscle. I don think most people are even aware of the tension they carry. I see people running that have their entire upper body tensed up. Or just sitting driving or something, they have their shoulders all tensed up. How about carrying a brief case....how tight do you have a grip on that thing? just enough to carry it or a death grip that's not needed? Its kind of mindfulness thing you need to remind yourself about until it becomes habit

Comment

Working...
                    X